Oil Pressure gauge

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Ok you will need a 10 mm Bspt (male) to 1/4 npt (female) adapter. You will either need to completley forget about the stock sending unit, or make a T.
Take the 10mm bspt to 1/4 npt adapter and screw it into the block.
Then either connect you oil pressure gauge to that and call it done, or you can make a T.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

nos92mx3 wrote:Ok you will need a 10 mm Bspt (male) to 1/4 npt (female) adapter. You will either need to completley forget about the stock sending unit, or make a T.
Take the 10mm bspt to 1/4 npt adapter and screw it into the block.
Then either connect you oil pressure gauge to that and call it done, or you can make a T.
Bang on nos. Although from my earlier recollections I always referred to it as 10mm pt and just dropped the bs part. Perhaps it was just from my neck of the woods.
MHMX, nos has it down pat. You will need that 10mm male pt to 1/4 female npt adapter. Since you've already stated that your new guage's sending unit is a 1/4 male npt, it should thread right into the female part of that adapter that goes into the block. Personally, I would go the "T" route and retain all of the oem funtionality of the dash's "idiot" lights whereby the 10mm male pt would "T" to 2 female ends. One female end would be 10mm pt and the other female end would be 1/4 npt. Your original sending unit would go to the 10mm side and the new guage sending unit would go to the 1/4 npt. Hope I haven't made it too confusing.......I tend to do that...LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

So did you ever get you oil pres guage installed because I am going to get one and want to know how your's went and if you did infact need the other fitting.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

V8KOMX3 wrote:So did you ever get you oil pres guage installed because I am going to get one and want to know how your's went and if you did infact need the other fitting.
ditto
Although if all else fails, a small piece of aluminum stock ("T" shaped but not necessary) and just drill and tap the correct sizes and source some aluminum AN fittings
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

you dont need to put the T fitting, the idiot sensor doesnt need to be hooked up so just take it out and replace it with the Electric Sender for the guage. This way you have no check engine lights and no oil lights... By the time the idiot sensor comes on its most likely too late anyways.
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

I have searched mcmaster.com and called them and they say that this part does not exist. Where can I find this part? Also, Since the sending unit is 1/8 npt male, putting an adapter from 10mm bspt male to 1/4 npt female would not work. Unless I put the adapter that came with the oil pressure sender, which would make it 1/4 npt. But, screwing the oil pressure sender into the adapter that is 1/4 npt, and then screwing that into the adapted block that everyone says exists, would make the connection too long to fit the mx-3's, because this would run right into the a/c fan gaurd. I have everything working, and have already installed the air/fuel, so this is really frustrating not having a signal from the oil pressure sender, because it looks stupid not working. Please help.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

This is a very do-able thing. Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what you want and conveying that to the right supplier. I've gone through this several times out of necessity when retro-fitting upgrades on a one off non-production motorcycle. I was fortunate enough to work at an airpost where you should be able to source the best fittings for this problem. There's a multitude of adapters and fittings out there and it's just a matter of knowing what you need. Source a good aircraft engine / car high performance engine / hydraulic suppliers for the parts you need. I'll attach a couple of links. The retro-fit shouldn't be too difficult to create. There's not going to be a single unit that's going to meet your needs, but rather a combination of small fittings connected together to accomodate the difference in thread sizes. I've done something similar where I tapped into the oil pressure sending unit on my Ducati using a 10mm fitting that went to a different thread size to connect a double outlet unit whereupon I attached my new line and re-attached my old sendind unit. All used the AN type fittings in blue anondized aluminum. Quite pleasing to the eye actually. That's been in place now for 14 years and still works fine. Try theses;

http://www.hoseandfittings.com/index.ht ... 0d1ca24093
http://www.hoseandfittings.com/catalog/ ... .1691.1692
http://www.hoseandfittings.com/catalog/ ... .1692.1722
Look to bottom of page for aluminum fittings
http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/prodinfo.html

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”