Calgary-July Mini-Meet and Race Night

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

It's actually $5 for the helmet and $25 for car/driver. I got an email from them asking about prices.
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Okay, cool. My back tires are not in the greatest shape, so I hope they don't ding me on that. That would suck. I would have liked to install my new intake but I'm a little short on time so I'll just have to do without it :(

I wonder what I'll have to race against. I don't really care either way. I just want to know what kind of times I'm running. I wonder who does dyno testing in Calgary. I wouldn't mind knowing what power I'm getting at the wheels as well. Mathamatically the car should be putting out about 222 HP at the flywheel but that's under a perfect situation of course.

Somebody's gotta take some video footage of us. I would love to put that up in the showcase section.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Silktrain

Post by Silktrain »

James, according to the Secret Street web site you posted:

"Competitors may run against whom they want, when they want - excluding bikes against cars. Participants are not allowed to switch vehicles. You may only run the car you signed the tech card for. Number of runs is strictly dependent on how many racers turn out."

That's why I thought I might race just the other MX-3s. I probably won't win (now that I FILLED my tank today :roll: ) but it's all in fun.
Mark Klassen
Burnt Black '96 GS - RIP
MX-West
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I just read somewhere else before that it's all dependant on how many people are racing. We'll see...
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

What

Post by What »

I have to leave for BC tommorrow AM, so I'm not sure I'll come down to race.

A couple of other things to think about...

They'll usually check the tag on the helmet you bring in... if it doesn't have one, they may not let you use it.

If for some reason your insurance is not your own, like your under your moms because your young and the companies rip you off... you will need a signed letter from the person who the insurance is under saying that it is ok to race their car at the track. I'm old enough I don't have to worry about this now... but I may have found out the hard way in the past. :oops: :oops:

There are generally 3 lanes of cars lined up to race. Their is a guy who directs the 3 lanes somewhat at random, but he'll usually go for what looks like a good race if he can. He shouldn't line anyone up with a 12 second nitrous drag car for example. If you guys want to race against each other, the guy directing traffic is the guy to ask. Follow each other in, on the same lane, or be close in lanes side by side and ask him while you are waiting for the other cars in front of you to go. Everybody usually hangs around outside their car and pushes them along as the lanes don't move terribly fast. I forget, but they may not allow you to race who you want on your first time out, which is kind of silly rule.

Burn-out boxes... not everybody with street tires will benefit from doing a burn-out. Rather than putting that stress on your driveline (1st gear burn-outs really are a bad thing), you can opt to drive to the side of the burn-out box. Just point at the waterbox guy that you are driving to the side, or roll down your window and tell him.

Other than that, Race-City is a slippery track... and Calgarys air is thin. I've seen stock turbo talons run high 15s-16s so don't be too upset about your times. To make things more fun you may want to bring something to adjust your timing in between runs and tire pressures and such things.

I'll try to stop by at least. I have a whack of receipts that have been sitting in my car for month for Darcy anyway... depends on the wife I guess.

And James... if you want some dyno time, let me know. There are a couple of options. I used to work with rcts and can get you a discount if I do the hook up and runs myself and the guys there don't have to do anything. Or, you can just go to Tomas mustang dyno... or, there are few other guys I'm less familiar with.
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

My wife and I discussed racing...I'm leaking some oil from tranny and valve cover gaskets and I don't want an unplanned engine swap right now. I'll be in the stands so James if you want some pics taken I could do that for you?!?!
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

It got rained out, so we went to Tim's then we took it to the streets, theres nothing like 4 Mx-3's bombing down the deerfoot together at 150+

We all got rainchecks so next friday it's on like donkey kong! I hope more people can make it out!
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Kyle, once I get a couple of bugs worked out I'll be sure to take you up on that dyno offer of yours. What's the average cost? Thanks for all the useful info too. :D

My car is definitly needing some more air through the intake when I compaire it to Ricks KLZE. My stock clutch sure sucks but I had no choice at the time of swapping. I got shipped the wrong frickin clutch.

I've change the date on the main posting to reflect next Friday. I think we'll meet at the same time but maybe we can meet at that Timmy's just before hand, so that we are all together. Last night was still fun, aside from the blood thirsty Vampire Fleas that kept attacking us. :evil:
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Yea we should meet at tims then all roll into RC together, also I'd be down with a dyno day for sure.

James, what exhaust setup are you running? I know you got the headers but what else?
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Yeah meeting at that timmy's would be fine with me. Should we aim for 7:00pm to meet there?

Just check my profile here on the mx-west site to see all the stuff I have on my car. My exhaust setup is listed there.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

What

Post by What »

Too bad about the rain day. It was pretty cloudy most of the way to Vancouver on Saturday even. You guys are just making it hard for me to have an excuse. :)

Dyno time at RCTS is normally $180/hr for the first hour (hook-up takes the longest), and then something like $115/hr after (I forget now). If I go down and do it, it would just be $95/hr. Some of the other places with dynojets or similar inertia-type dynos are charging the same as Regs normal rates or a little more depending on the place. Tomas Mustang dyno can be slightly cheaper.

If you wanted a dyno day, 5-6 guys interested, I can try to work something out with Reg. Otherwise, normally he does not come in on weekends at all.

If you just want numbers, dynojet will give nicer numbers than the Mustang dyno. If you want to tune certain rpms, you can run a different program and set the large locomotive brakes to come at any rpm or speed that you want. i.e. you want to target 4000rpms... set the program, and it will apply brakes based on signal from your coil to prevent the engine from going past that.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I think we'll have to place a Dyno day sometime in September and see who is all interested on doing it one weekend. We'll have to make another posting for it as that month gets closer. I'm sure a few people would be interested, especially those who have done a swap. I'm mainly currious since I completely rebuild my KLZE and want to know what numbers I'm getting out of it.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Well that was fun! I can't wait to see some of the videos from last night. If anyone wants to email some pics or video to me from last night, I'll put together a bit of a past events page for it on the MX-West site. I know my brother-in-law got a few good vids from the stands. Thanks to Rick for letting me use his back wheels so that I could race.
Last edited by wyldside on July 24th, 2005, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

Wish I could have made it...family stuff. Would like to see some vids and pics when you get them James.
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

All of you that couldn't make it sure missed out. Was definitely worth it.

Code: Select all

Best Time:
 R/T : 0.669s
 60' : 2.663s
 330': 7.318s
 1/8 : 11.140
Speed: 64.87 MPH
1000': 14.433
 1/4 : 17.218
Speed: 80.06 MPH
My first time was 17.662 @ 78.27 and I had troubles at the start as you rolled forward a bit, so I started holding up the ebrake and launching from about 2200RPM. The next run was 17.330 @ 79.80. The one after that was 17.395 @ 79.13. The next run I had a terrible launch and only managed an 18.236 @ 79.01. Seemed to get a higher speed towards the end of the night with less gas in the tank or something, as the next one was my fastest. My last run was another shitty launch (2.999s) but I still managed a 17.602 @ 80.17MPH and beat that Civic hatchback who clocked in at 17.847 @ 77.19 :)

Hopefully we can do this once more this summer and maybe I can break into the 16s. Car is a '93 RS with an EGT BP and had no excess weight. Even had less than 1/4 tank showing on the gauge. Not sure what else I can do extremely cheaply to knock off .2s other than some launching practice :)

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”