Has anyone put a turbo on a 1.6L SOHC engine?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rusty

Has anyone put a turbo on a 1.6L SOHC engine?

Post by rusty »

Has anyone ever put a turbo charger on a 1.6L SOHC engine? Did any models with this engine ever come with turbos? Do I have to change anything internally such as pistons, cams to run a turbo on a stock engine. I have a 93 MX3 RS 1.6L SOHC that I would like to put a turbo charger on. What else would I have to change to make this work?
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

http://racingmazda.com/mx3-turbo.htm

I'm sure someone has, the link above is of a company that sells the direct bolt up kit for this engine and car.

I hear it's simple and reliable as far as turbo's go, and this kit doesn't require upgraded internals. Changing ingnition and the fuel pump, as well as injectors down the road is always a nice thing to do though.. Never hurts. Adding an external fuel management computer, a piggyback, is a good as well. SAFC-II is cool.

Also, when you start to turn up the PSI, you should think about shaving the internals and such, better flow is crucial in a turbo'd setup.

I personally will be working to get this kit. It's definately not the largest increase in HP and lb, but it's a start, and a nice one at that.
g0t_slack

Post by g0t_slack »

Thanks, i've been looking for a link like that...
Are there any turbos from other cars (thinking junkyard here, 2k is kinda steep for me) that will fit this stock engine?
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Thats actually a very good kit, and a good turbo. Your not going to have to upgrade anytime soon.
as long as the kit is made of quality parts. Thats a 16g maybe and tial wastegate?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Jeff K

Post by Jeff K »

yeah thats the best link i think, i looked around
rusty

Post by rusty »

What is this 16g and tial wastegate that your talking about? This turbo only runs 4 psi is that sounds fairly low or is it? How do you increase the amount of PSI the turbo produces? What must be done to run higher boost pressure?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Okay Stop there. Please.

Sounds like you only want a turbo to be cool and say you have a turbo.

Go research on what turbos do and what a wastegate is and what you need to run higher boost.

Invest in a book by Corky Bell called "Maximum Boost" and read that.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
rusty

Post by rusty »

wow sorry buddy! I know how a turbo works in general thanks, maybe not up to par on the terms tough. I want a turbo to make good engine power not just to be kool
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Im with atlantamx3 110% on this one bud.
Go do some research, search about different turbos and setups and if theres something you dont understand about it search about that and so on and so forth. understand completely how a turbo and surronding components work.

Maximum boost by corky bell is worth the $ I suggest you get it.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
facko

Post by facko »

not to jump on the bandwagon but i agree w/ the other guys about researching some more...yeah the concept of a turbo is pretty easy to understand but if u dont know what the different parts of the system are for your either gonna end up breaking something on your car or getting shafted on some parts your getting a good deal on, especially if ur looking to put together a budget turbo setup.
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
grey mx-3

Post by grey mx-3 »

does anyone know if that turbo works on a dohc i have a 95 dohc and have been looking for a turbo setup
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

no it wont bolt onto the DOHC, thats where B6T parts come in
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
grey mx-3

Post by grey mx-3 »

so is it worth it to get that setup for a dohc what parts would i need from the b6t
Shades

Post by Shades »

SOHC and DOHC... two different engines, two different setups.

AND for the owner of this post, I find this website something good to read first.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
kudkudniyog

Post by kudkudniyog »

Hello all I'm just new to the group. I bought my brother's MX3 for $500. It is a SOHC and wanted to make a little more power.

What is the max PSI the engine can take on stock internals?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”