Door Inserts

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MHMX-3

Door Inserts

Post by MHMX-3 »

Im sure this topic has been posted before, so I apologize in advance. Im sure that anyone with a teal mx-3 knows that in 1992 the interior cloth in the doors looks like s---, and many people have changed it. What a great idea. I tried removing the fabric and replacing it with other materials, but im truly not that skilled in that department, as per its an extremely hard job, and most often people hire someone to do that. But, i remember seeing someone who had removed the door fabric, and did some type of spray painting that looked really nice. If anyone has any information on working the door panel fabric area to where it can be spray painted, or a link to that person who spayed theirs, please let me know. Thank you
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Well I haven't done this nor does my mx3 even have fabric on the door panel ('95 rs) but I would assume that after ripping off the fabric, you would need to remove any glue/adhesive and sand down the surface flat and clean it well. Then use masking/painter's tape to cover up anywhere around the area you don't want to get paint on and find a high quality spray paint and go at it. This is just off the top of my head and if it sounds right I would assume it works.

If you have already removed the fabric you should be able to see if only painting it would look right. Depending on how the fabric was attatched, you may need to do slight mods on the door panel to make everything flush and even.

My 2 cents.
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

thanks for the advice, but does anyone know that person that had spray painted thier inserts instead of replacing them? I think they were red. If not, anyone else spray paint theirs, or do anything besides reupholster thier inserts? Thanks
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i'd suggest looking on cardomain
i've seen quite a few with that done
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

I am going to put a few layers of fiberglass resin over mine, then paint that. I've read that it will give you a better finish that way...it'll probably last longer too...won't rub off when using the armrest and such...
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

would taking off the fabric, sanding, and spray painting suffice? if not, where would i purchase fiber glass resin, and how expensive is it?
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

MHMX-3 wrote:would taking off the fabric, sanding, and spray painting suffice? if not, where would i purchase fiber glass resin, and how expensive is it?
You will have to look at that and judge for yourself. You're going to want it to look even and nice, so with the fabric removed is the surface flat? Or does it have ridges or something where the fabric attatched?

As for buying fiberglass resin I have no idea...custom car shop maybe :?
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

I took off my fabric already...there is a vinyl like padding under the fabric, and under that, the cardboard-like backing of the panel. You could paint the panels with the fabric off, and with a bunch of layers of paint you could probably get a smooth finish, but my experience with painting vinyl or rubber-like materials like that is that the paint will eventually rub off and you'll have to re-paint it.

You can buy fiberglass resin or any other hardener compound at Home Depot. Just remove the fabric, paint a few layers of resin on, and when it hardens sand and paint. This should give you the most smooth and permanent finish, in my opinion.
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Door Inserts

Post by neutral »

MHMX-3 wrote:...If anyone has any information on working the door panel fabric area to where it can be spray painted, or a link to that person who spayed theirs, please let me know. Thank you
Here ya go. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360367 It's GregoryChristian's MX-3. That's his s/n here so you could maybe PM him w/Q's. Also try a BB search for posts about other's experience with this.

You're right too, recovering w/fabric is a major PITA. Inserts have compound concave shaped curves that are a nightmare to get pro looking results w/recovering. Someone recently posted here that they asked a friend, who does auto interior work, about degree of recovering difficulty and the guy told him the MX-3 was in the top few cars that his shop wouldn't take on because the pita factor. G'luck with the glass and paint tho. Gregory's came out really nice.
Image -Jim

Return to “Appearance”