Whats wrong with my car?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jbruynson

Whats wrong with my car?

Post by jbruynson »

Everything was all normal yesterday, then suddenly on the way home the exhaust got loud, i mean really loud. Its only on the lower end though, by the time it hits 3k rpm its all good. Its never been like this before

Any ideas? its really annoying
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Probably a hole in either the muffler.. the piping or the catalytic converter.. Time to visit your local muffler shop.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

well I guess if it is a hole I'd have to get it replaced right? Would it be a good idea to get 2.25" piping and a new muffler now? since i'll be getting a ze within a few months?

Bigger piping won't have a negative effect on the smaller stock engine will it? but I know most people go about 2.25 for the ze
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sorry man.. I will freely admit to my ignorance when it comes to exaust setups.. In the past when building my nova.. I took the car to a hot rod shop and had the exaust custom matched by the shop for my application.. full stainless steel exaust (which was damn expensive back then.. almost $1200 for the whole setup) There are others here that will have more information about this. But you could always find out where the damage to your current system is and decide then to either repair or replace. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

If you end up doing a cat-back on this car ESPECIALLY for a KLZE get 2.5".

I made this mistake on my KLDE MX-6, i got 2.25" and then after reading the HP difference from that 1/4" size i went to 2.5" and am soo happy now. Don't choke up the KLZE
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i'm in the same boat as you more or less, and i've elected to just fix the exhaust stock, and redo it after the swap. otherwise you might be paying a lot to do something over again 2x, something the exhaust shop guys thought is more likely than not.

repairing your muffler or pipe is going to inexpensive enough to write off as a temporary fix before you get your real setup in place

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”