Another freakin swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
FrankenMazda

Another freakin swap

Post by FrankenMazda »

Hey fellow mazda nutters, just thought I'd throw my hat in the swap ring.

I have been doing my homework in preperation of the swap for quite a while now, so much so all the info is starting to make my head spin.

Now there are some conflicting points.

So... Ive got a 323, Im basically doing the 'rs' swap.

The car does not have air, cruise control, or even power steering!

Ive got the mx3 mounts/members/linkage (FINALLY), needed to actually drop the engine in.

Ive got an mx3 gs wiring harness

Batteries going in the hatch.

Im grabbing a new clutch, axles and flywheel, and a rebuilt mx6 tranny.

For budget reasons Ill be using the 1.8 manifolds and collector. (headers later)

I am replacing timing chain, water pump, tensioner pully, friction gear, the belts, hoses/lines.

I know Im lengthening a few wires, farting around with the throttle cable

Now assuming the engine comes with the average accesories...

and that Im using a JE50 VAF, and kl31/36 ecu.

What am I missing to make it go? A tankfull of 91 octane? A snide 'use the search' remark? The money?

At this point I figure the list cant be that long...
I have motor swap madness, Ive lost my mind and have never been happier
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Looks like you've done your homework! Seems like you got it all covered, what year is the MX-3 harness you have? Also our cars use timing belts as opposed to chains, and you might want to upgrade the front suspension while your at it.
FrankenMazda

Post by FrankenMazda »

Funny I was just looking at that thread about the wiring 'generations'.

Im not 100% but I think its from a 93, worst case, I thnk I can trade it for a 94-95 if I have to, that should avoid any sensor nonsense.

The front end, I assume you mean will the rest of my former economy s--- box cope with the additional grunt, oh yes, yes I believe it will.

Hell my car is such a bastard child of parts, the only thing 323 that will be left in a month will be the body shell

I pretty much have the best factory brake setup, the larger rotors/calipers up front, mx-3 rear discs (actually the whole rear assemblly), and the p-valve. I have slotted rotors and some 'aggresive' pads, (KVR is a 'local' company for me). The only thing they lack are some braided lines, and those can wait till Ive paid for my engine.

The rest? Kyb gr2's, gc sleeves, eibachs, strut tower brace(s), poly lca bushings, and all the mounts are new.

Aside from the rear needing every bushing replaced :roll:, (a topic for another forum), the front sway bar was the last main piece of the puzzle, for now...

I've been planning this from the moment I found it was possible, and took care of the stopping and turning first, I personally think they're much more important to driving fast.

Now it needs an engine.

Im still not able to post in the buy/sell yet, and I need an ECU.

Could you help me get one rick?

Any help would be appreciated.

chris.dunster@gmail.com
I have motor swap madness, Ive lost my mind and have never been happier

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”