Who can help me find a computer???

Off-Topic Discussions
mazdubber

Who can help me find a computer???

Post by mazdubber »

I'm so frustrated. I'm trying to find a new computer system for myself. Problem is that I've spent the last few years ignoring computer technology completely. So now I don't know where and what to buy! :?

I don't want to end up buying some off the shelf system that seems like a good deal because I simply don't know what I'm looking at. All I know for sure is that it has to be upgradable. Who in the greater Toronto area can be my hero??? I need some honest direction.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Depends on what you want to be using your computer for? Are you into games? Do you want alot of hard drive space? What kind of things do you plan on doing with it?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

(Will this going in your Mx-3? ;))

Just an initial personal opinion, unless your a n00b and you have no idea what you want in a computer, an off-the-shelf POS will not only give you support headaches, but their proprietary designs make upgrades difficult, sometimes impossible and possibly more expensive
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

It's not going into the MX-3. At least not yet. :P I want to be able to play some games on it with good performance. I want to get into playing Counterstrike and World of Warcraft. I figured the off the shelf variety wouldn't be very user friendly when it came to upgrades. Whats a good starting point for internet gaming and other media playing? Should I just go to a small shop and get someone to build me something?
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

http://www.pricewatch.com/

you can build your own comp, not hard at all, nice system for $1k, also youll need DSL to play games like counterstrike without lag
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Watch out for getting imported components from other countries...not only do you ahve to deal with the brokerage fees when crossing the border, and the hassle of shipping components for warranty service, but typically the manufactueres warranty are specific to the country that the part was destined for, tracked by serial number, so your warranty is void from the manufacturer (so check the store's policy on warranties as well as the manufacturer's warranty), which means you need to ship it back to where you bought it from. It would be a headache if you had to fuss with them about the parts warranty, but if the buisness goes under, your even more screwed, cause you have nowhere to get it dealt with.

Also, being in Canada, there's another "scam" you have to deal with called "grey market" products, which are products imported from the United States (or other countries) cause it's cheaper for them to buy than through authorized Canadian retaillers, in which you need to take the same precautions with them as buying online, but atleast you have someplace to physically go to and complain, but sucks if you move away or they go out of buisness.

It's an interesting industry i tell ya
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Ok well i know quite abit about computers myself. First take a look on good fro custom computer shops. Basicly they'll give you a pamphlet with components on it. First off you got your CPU, or prosessor. Theres Intel Pentium, AMD Athelon and some other odd ones...go with AMD Athelon, i find em better...make sure get get 64-bit, its the "new and improved". Now the speed of proseccors are mesured in Gigahertz, or gigs. Anything above 2.5ghtz it fast enough for pretyt much anything. Right now i have AMD Athlon XP +1900 and its done well (gonna replace it tho). Then theres RAM or memory, you want to get 512mb to start for sure. DON"T GO FOR LOWER. More ram helps with loading speeds during games. Hardrive wise, anything aroudn 120gigabytes (gigBYTEs as in space). Finaly if your gonna be counter striking, or warcrafting, or dooming or w/e your gonna need a gooood graphics/video card. ATI is good, i'd go with the Raedeon 9800 PRO. if you gonna game, DON"T get a flat panel monitor, get regulat CRT. or a projector haha :shock: and that about sums it up. I dont' know how much you know about computers right now, so i've given alot of detail. If you know alot about me, i didnt' mean to insult you, just helping out lol
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I would reccommened any atx tower with 350 or more pws(power), athlon 64 or p4 3+ghz ( reccommend the p4 because it has been around awhile and problems are known but athlon is great just very new). Nvidia or ATI video card w/128mb +rtl & pixel shading. 1 gig ram with highest fsb(front side bus) any 10/100 nic any 56k fax/modem serial ata hard drive 60gigs+ 7200rpm. And a mother board that support serial ata the proccessor & 8xAGP. FSB speed is crucial to the performance of the computer. I made mine for a little over $900 US and it can do anything a normal person wouldd use a computer for and then some. CRT monitor is good, so is an LCD. As far as buying were you are I don't know sorry.
Hope this all helps :wink:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

FSB (Front Side Bus) Is not "crucial" to performance of all computers. The new AMD 64bit CPU's dont even have a FSB. The FSB is the "Roadway" that your processor uses to transfer data back and forth from the memory controller (chipset) to your RAM. In the newer AMD 64 bit systems, the memory controller is built into the processor itself eliminating the need for the controller being built into the chipset on the motherboard, thus eliminating the need for the "Crucial" FSB speed. Intel platforms still use the chipset/memory controller design and so the FSB is still important to those machines.

There is a lot to consider when deciding on what components you buy to build your machine with. But building your own computer is by far better than buying one off the shelf. 3 reasons why IMO

1) You know what is in your machine and thus locating drivers and information on your machine is far easier over the internet and you dont have to spend time with a "Tech Support" person reading from some stupid script to try and tell you that you have a problem with your computer that you were trying to explain to them in the first place.

2) Upgradability - Easy to replace parts simply because custom built machines follow a standard for case/component placement that Shelf Systems dont always follow. (Though Dell & Gateway are better at this than either Compaq or Hewlett Packard at least in my experience)

3) More cost effective. If you call Dell or any other computer manufacturer and rattle off a list of all the specific parts you want in your computer.. you will find that your eventual cost of the machine will be almost double what you can buy & build it for yourself.

There are downsides to building your machine as well.

1) Little or no warranty. This depends on where you buy your parts of course. http://www.newegg.com or http://www.zipzoomfly.com are great places to buy components and have a excellent reputation for handling returns. (though sometimes you gotta get a little "annoyed" on the phone with newegg.. but they have always come through on those few occasions where I had to return something)

2) You dont have that "Tech Support" guy to call at all hours. Honestly.. never had much use for Tier 1 tech support.. they dont know their azzez from a hole in the ground.. but a lot of people like having them available.

Finally.. check out this link for researching components.. I am a member on their forums there as well as here (havent been there much since getting my MX-3 and hanging out here though LOL) Lots of great people there and VERY knowledgable. They can help sort out any build issues in their forums much like the folks here help sort out each others car problems. http://www.pcper.com

Hope this helps.

Tunes67
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

V8KOMX3 wrote:I would reccommened any atx tower with 350 or more pws(power), athlon 64 or p4 3+ghz ( reccommend the p4 because it has been around awhile and problems are known but athlon is great just very new).
Actually there are more issues with Pentium 4's thatn Athlon 64's, specifically the Prescott generation, with heat issues, and if you have a Prescott P4, you cannot install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. The Athlon 64 is actually more mature than a P4, Intel changed it's core many times in it's existance than AMD's Athlon 64's. And that's one thing about Intel, they like to change sockets very often, which can easilly limit your computer's upgrade capability overnight. AMD's socket 939 platform is great, it has budget chips such as the Athlon64 3000+ that goes for ~C$275, or you can go upto an Athlon FX-55, the fastest CPU on the market, for ~C$1118, and in the future, a BIOS flash will allow you to use a dual-core processor when they come out later (I dont remember the release schedual on those)
Tunes67 wrote:FSB (Front Side Bus) Is not "crucial" to performance of all computers. The new AMD 64bit CPU's dont even have a FSB. The FSB is the "Roadway" that your processor uses to transfer data back and forth from the memory controller (chipset) to your RAM. In the newer AMD 64 bit systems, the memory controller is built into the processor itself eliminating the need for the controller being built into the chipset on the motherboard, thus eliminating the need for the "Crucial" FSB speed. Intel platforms still use the chipset/memory controller design and so the FSB is still important to those machines.
Just to slightly elaborate, the benefit to the memory controller on the processor (of an Athlon 64) than on the motherboard with the chipset is:
-Lower latency, less distance to travel for information
-The CPU can talk to the system RAM directly, not only resulting is less waiting, but it functions at the same speed at the processor's speed, instead of the speed of the Front Side Bus

Tunes67 wrote:3) More cost effective. If you call Dell or any other computer manufacturer and rattle off a list of all the specific parts you want in your computer.. you will find that your eventual cost of the machine will be almost double what you can buy & build it for yourself.
Their prices are horrible, what they do for their computers is put the computer itself at a lower-than-competitive price to draw in the customer, so those basic systems are a good value, however, the prices of upgrades or add-on components are usually 50%-100% more expensive than buying them off the shelf. What I've seen them do is add-in components to the package that you can't take out, like a wireless router, and that you have to pay for, very sneaky.

1) Little or no warranty. This depends on where you buy your parts of course. http://www.newegg.com or http://www.zipzoomfly.com are great places to buy components and have a excellent reputation for handling returns. (though sometimes you gotta get a little "annoyed" on the phone with newegg.. but they have always come through on those few occasions where I had to return something) [/quote]

Typically warranties are 3-5 years on major components like motherboard and cpu. I know MSI (motherboard manufacturer) has a 3 year warranty on their motherboard, which is one of the reason why I use their motherboards in my CarPC, (I just replaced mine last week), another benefit to MSI is they have a depot in Canada to allow quicker turn arounds. That's one thing about living in Canada, it can complicate warranty service to Manufacturers. Like Asus, they make great motherboards, but if it needs to be sent out for repairs, it has to go back to California, making it a 4-6 week turnaround, they don't bother with a Canadian service depot since they sell more motherboars in California than in Canada. Warranty on processors varies as well cause you can buy them in 2 flavors, Retail or OEM. Retail box processors come in a sealed box with a cooling fan and usually have a 3 year warranty, maybe longer. OEM chips are sold in bundles in a rack, designed to be sold to system builders, they come at a cheaper price, but they not only don't come with a cooling fan, but only have a 1 year warranty. RAM, you can get with a lifetime warranty. Hard drives have warranties from 1 years to 3 to 5 years depending on manufacturer and model. The Western Digitial SATA 10'000rpm Raptor drive have a 5 year warranty

POwer supplies, never judge them by their wattage, cause there are ways to legally falsly advertise it, you do get what you pay for. There are 2 ways you can tell a power supply is good, first is by weight, good power supplies are very heavy, but also is to compare the amperage on each rail, specifically the +12v, +5v and +3.3v. Higher amperage means higher power output. Even in the brand name power supplies, i've seen a 450w from one company with the same amperages (or very very close) to a 550w from another company. And try to get a power supply that are approved by the CPU manufactures, it will ensure good power, cause dirty power can cause system instabilities, and cheap power supplies, when they die, they have a good change of taking out something in the system with it, and approved power supply with have an internal surge protection so that doesn't happen.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

If you want my honest opinion, if your not computer savy..

and you want to go cheap...

Go with a Dell, their referb systems are usually alot cheaper than their specials.

for example.

$964.00
Dimension 8400 P4-3200
Windows® XP Home
160 G (I) (7200 RPM) Harddrive
1G ram
DVD
256 MB NVIDIA
1024 bit sound card
Desktop

not a bad price w/ the warranty you get
http://www.dell.com/outlet

If you'd rather build it yourself. Do some research on parts. Pricewatch.com (as mentioned already) is a great source for parts.
I believe many of the p4 PCs I manage at work have prescotts in them and they have XP sp2 on them. Im curious where you got that info.
Just be sure to check for compatability problems. The best source is to read the support forums for major/common issues w/ certain hardware.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i personally like HP custom builds

figure out what u you & go from there, i have bought 10 comps for my office that way.......

DONT BUY monitors, printers etc etc...............

printers get a hp 2100/2200 b&w off of ebay
monitor price watch

& make sure any rebate from best buy is a rebate & not a warranty card

& dell printers refills are proprietary...... so inkjet refill are expensive
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Custommx3 wrote:I believe many of the p4 PCs I manage at work have prescotts in them and they have XP sp2 on them. Im curious where you got that info.
From the people that trained me here at Microsoft for troubleshooting Service Pack 2 install issues.
monty73741 wrote:printers get a hp 2100/2200 b&w off of ebay
monitor price watch
Never buy a used ink jet printer (the hp 2100 money is refering to is a laser, laser's kick a--), it's not worth it. You can buy a new printer with full cartridges for almost the same price as the replacement cartridges, especially Lexmark and HP, plus printers are basically disposable, they'll die out within 2 years. When a inkjet printer runs out of warranty, and your cartridges are dry, just throw it out and get a new one, with full cartridges that will print at a higher resolution and faster.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on May 16th, 2005, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

LOL, well we dont have any issues with it ;)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

;)
Technically, you can force a SP2 install with the stand-alone install, but it should not show up as an option through WIndows Update

(I'm a huge AMD guy, so I laughed when I heard that)

AHh, it's been fixed anywho
Method 4: If you are running an Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Celeron D processor that is based on Prescott C-0 stepping
If your computer contains an Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Celeron D processor that is based on Prescott C-0 stepping, and Critical Update 885626 is not yet installed, Windows Update will not offer to download Windows XP SP2. Microsoft and Intel have released an updated processor driver that will help prevent this installation failure. We recommend that you install Critical Update 885626, and rescan your system with Windows Update to install Windows XP SP2.

To determine whether your computer has this previously mentioned processor, click Start, click Run, type msinfo32, and then press ENTER. Look for the line that begins with “Processor" in the right pane of the System Information window. If your computer has this blocked processor, MSInfo32 will display the following text:
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3

If your processor is a Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3 processor, you will not be automatically offered Windows XP SP2 unless Critical Update 885626 is installed. This problem occurs because certain processor and BIOS combinations exist where the BIOS does not correctly support the specific processor model. Only a small fraction of these processors are installed in systems that have an incorrect BIOS. However, all systems that have these processors are blocked until the update is installed.

This updated driver is also available from the Microsoft Download Center.

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download the Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626) package now.
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
If you have already installed Windows XP SP2 and your system does not restart correctly, see the following Knowledge Base article to determine workarounds that you can use to have your system restart successfully with Windows XP SP2:

885626 Your computer stops responding when you restart to complete the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2

Return to “Off-Topic”