bleeding brakes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Talon_66

bleeding brakes

Post by Talon_66 »

Ok, I have read several different articles, read the chilton's, haynes, and the online manual. All give different methods. Which is correct?

Does the vehicle have to be running during the bleed?
What is the correct order?
-Right rear, left rear, right front, left front
or
-Right rear, left front, left rear, right front?

I did a one man bleed yesterday, with a bottle and a hose with a one way valve on it, and I made sure no air bubbles were coming out. But I still have soggy braking and will do another bleed today.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The engine doesn't have to be running and you bleed them starting from the furtherst away from the master cylinder working to the closest (obviously that will be different depending on left ot right hand drive).
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Macen

Post by Macen »

On a left hand drive, you start with right rear. Then left rear. Right front. And then left front.
I had the same problem with bad brake capacity. Turned out it was air in the system. Bleed over and over until it gets better. That solved my problem.
And don't forget to remove the reservoir cap when you bleed.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

and make sure you watch your levels in your resevior so you don't run out of brake fluid. happened to me. :oops: oh and bleed from the bleed screw not the bolt on the back of the caliper
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I just did a 2nd bleed still doesnt feel 100% but I just did new pads, rotors and SS lines all around.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Macen

Post by Macen »

I also did SS lines. You have to bleed for quite a long time. And check the fluid level. NEVER below low.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

seems to me on a left hand drive car, the left rear is further... the back right is closer to the joint just behind the gas tank than the back left.
Macen

Post by Macen »

You are right. Never thought about that the brake line to the right rear has a longer way.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

:oops: Well I went for a cruise after getting everything up and running. Went out to a very uninhabited stretch of highway, and wanted to work my brakes so I was doing 120km/h-0 stops to break in my brakes. On the 2nd brake check I did, I blew one of my SS lines, literally blew the side out of it.... Going 120 with no brakes gets scary. :oops:
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

That must have been some seriously bad SSlines then!
I would contact the manufacturer and since youre over there probertly sue the pants of off them :evil:

You could have been killed by their faulty brakelines if you have had to brake hard for someone that drove out infront of you and you had a blown brakehose :dunno:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Talon_66 wrote::oops: Well I went for a cruise after getting everything up and running. Went out to a very uninhabited stretch of highway, and wanted to work my brakes so I was doing 120km/h-0 stops to break in my brakes. On the 2nd brake check I did, I blew one of my SS lines, literally blew the side out of it.... Going 120 with no brakes gets scary. :oops:
This is VERY common. Do a search for em' over at forums.probetalk.com. It's happened to me TWICE, my friend once, and TONS of people at probetalk.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”