Car missing when up shifting

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

I would cause it sounds like he needs to get it tuned up anyway.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Mazdaspeed96743

Post by Mazdaspeed96743 »

Okay thank you all guys I might do that then. Its not going to be in a while but I will post up on whats the scoop later on :)
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

I am sorry but what does the spark plugs.... have to do with the dude missing a gear shift?

I mean its obviously 99.99999% accurate to say that it is something wrong with his transmission.

If i where you i would follow that m8 suggestion and go to a free estimate shop and then see what they say.... Be carefull that they are not trying to rip you off. I experienced that in a friends car and it is exactly the same symptoms when the clutch disk is gone. You release the clutch and the car acts like the clutch is still engaged.

So ya most likely the clutch
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

ManoWar - I think the missing they are referring too is a misfire.. not that he is missing a gear when he shifts. 99.99999% of the time when someone says their car is "missing" they are trying to indicate that it is misfiring.. meaning that one of the spark plugs or plug wires did not ignite as they should have.. His mention of shifting is only there to indicate When the misfire is occurring..(at least that is how it reads to me) now if I had read this all correctly.. that means that his clutch is not going to have anything to do with his engine Missing when he is shifting. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Tunes67 wrote:ManoWar - I think the missing they are referring too is a misfire.. not that he is missing a gear when he shifts. 99.99999% of the time when someone says their car is "missing" they are trying to indicate that it is misfiring.. meaning that one of the spark plugs or plug wires did not ignite as they should have.. His mention of shifting is only there to indicate When the misfire is occurring..(at least that is how it reads to me) now if I had read this all correctly.. that means that his clutch is not going to have anything to do with his engine Missing when he is shifting. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
Nicely stated again tunes.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Mazdaspeed96743

Okay, I forgot to mention one last thing. I went to firestone and they said something was wrong with the fuel line or fuel injector or something like that. but they fixed it and put something and said that the cars exhaust might have smoke comming out for a couple days when im driving and go away. and they also told me to refuel my car with regular gasoline once the gas tank is half full. lol, I have been using Supreme plus (Blue gas filler at chevron). So yeah. I dont know, Its really hard to explain. One day Im going to make a video with sound so you guys know what im talking about.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Tunes67 wrote:ManoWar - I think the missing they are referring too is a misfire.. not that he is missing a gear when he shifts. 99.99999% of the time when someone says their car is "missing" they are trying to indicate that it is misfiring.. meaning that one of the spark plugs or plug wires did not ignite as they should have.. His mention of shifting is only there to indicate When the misfire is occurring..(at least that is how it reads to me) now if I had read this all correctly.. that means that his clutch is not going to have anything to do with his engine Missing when he is shifting. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
true true.... i interpreted it differently. My bad
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Mazdaspeed96743 wrote:Okay thanks. and it does this on first second and sometimes third. Like I shift to 3rd, car goes vr-r-r-rrr-r-r-rrrr-r so I shift back to second and its fine.
but then again :roll: ??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Do I really need to spell it out for you?
car goes vr-r-r-rrr-r-r-rrrr-r
Transmissions & Clutches do NOT make sounds like this.. engines do. You will notice if you look at the R's in his statement that the R's are not evenly spaced.. indicating that the engine is not running smoothly.. or its MISSING. So following the rest of his statement.. Its misfiring in third gear.. so he shifts back to second gear and it then no longer misfires. :roll:

Tunes67
Mazdaspeed96743

Really? oh thanks for noticing that.
Mazdaspeed96743

*UPDATE*

Hey whats up you all mx3ers :) Okay, I finally took the car to my local shop which is (Hilo Mazda) and after an hour of looking to see whats wrong. The best mechanic of the Hilo Mazda found out what was wrong.. The Distributor was flooded with car oil and its all messed up and not able to be fixed so now they have to order another one and replace it. All costs with part price, shiping, fixing labor blah blah blah comes out to $670 :(. Man, I just hope the car is fine after. oh my god first it was the fuel system, then the O2 Sensor, Cap and rotor, Then its the Distributor what next? :(. But im just glad it's going to be fixed. At first I thought the car was losing horsepower...
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well oil in the distributor will definately cause misfiring.. kind of amazed it was even able to stay running at all. Glad you got it fixed and back on the road though :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF :shock: that's way to much money for a disty
Mazdaspeed96743

Tunes67 wrote:Well oil in the distributor will definately cause misfiring.. kind of amazed it was even able to stay running at all. Glad you got it fixed and back on the road though :)

Tunes67
yeah, And plus the mechanic told me if we ran it any longer, the car would just shut down and die. Thankfully I wasn't stuck somewhere. And my car is not back on the road yet :(. Im going to pick it up in Hilo next week hopefully.And Hilo is about 100miles from where I live. The distributor have not came in the mail yet. pretty soon though. So right now the mechanic guy was nice enough to lend me a rental car till the car gets fixed and ready to pick up. The rental is a 2003 Ford Focus sedan :lol:. The car is auto so everytime I slow down or pulling out I keep stomping on the floor and trying to look for the clutch pedal :lol:. Throws me off this Ford Focus
Mazdaspeed96743

V8KOMX3 wrote:YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF :shock: that's way to much money for a disty
Thats not how much the disty cost. Its everthing altogether you know?, such as the work labor to install it and stuff.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”