Is my CV joint going?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mamoo

Is my CV joint going?

Post by mamoo »

So I gave a buddy a ride home in my MX-3, and he, who knows cars pretty well, noticed a low creaking when I'm making sharp turns under power, or easing off the brakes when I'm at a stoplight.

He said the creaking, which I'd thought was just the suspension or something, is caused by a "bad CV joint." He also said that if I didn't get it fixed (or replaced) right away, it would end up costing me badass money.

Is it true? Is a bad CV joint the only way the creaking could be made?

I really really hope the thing isn't so bad ... I just went through a nightmare with the alternator and belt; I'd hate to have still more problems with it.

Any advice?
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Oh, and it's a '95 automatic.

Any Canadians have an idea of what it'd cost to fix the CV joint if that's what it is?
Tric

Post by Tric »

CV joints make a snaping sounds when they start to go not a creaking sound!! and they do it when turing under load.
check to see if there is greass in your rims too... ummm and no it will not cost you more if you replace in later ...
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

I'd say the sound is like the one that is made when you run a piece of wood along a picket fence.
'95 RS: RIP
tool_girl6597

cv joints/half shafts

Post by tool_girl6597 »

I just bought my MX-3 and it's in the shop right now for the half shafts and clutch...they never "creaked...it was more like a clicking feeling in the steering wheel when going around a corner such as an exit ramp. Not sure if that helps any.
92' Teal 4 cylinder,5 speed MX-3. Desperately needing civic projectors converted
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Guess my CV joints are bad aswell then.

Ah well, guess I`ll spend some money getting some new axles from Raxles

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Okay, so what is it? Just the springs or something?
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

if it`s what the people here believes, it`s a bad CV joint.

It has probably nothing to do with the springs.
But of course, to be sure you would have to get a mechanic take a look.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
tool_girl6597

Post by tool_girl6597 »

Cv's are pretty easy to check on your own...use a lift or climb under the front. Turn your wheels as far as they will go each way and check the rubber boots for cracks and rips. Also grease pretty much all over the place (inside wheels and such). Mine didn't have any grease anywhere cause it sat so long. Who knows when they went out.So I had to check the boots. They were torn all the way across.
92' Teal 4 cylinder,5 speed MX-3. Desperately needing civic projectors converted
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

its either a bad cv axle or a bad wheel bearing cause i just went through this...ive actually had both things go wrong and they sound very similar.....the axle if you want to do it yourself will cost about $100 for the axle.....and if its the wheel bearing it's like $50 for the bearing and its a press in style so you should get a shop to do it so i would say about $100 or so for labour...
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Turned out there was a problem. Got a new axle and nuts. Cost about $300 Canadian.

A bit pissed about the cost, but these things happen, right?
92GS_STL_MO

Post by 92GS_STL_MO »

I wouldn't be too pissed about the repair cost, i mean if the car is a 95 its almost if not 10 years old now right. I have never owned a front wheel drive car that has not needed new cv joints. best to just suck it up and get ready to do the other one next, all three of my mx-3s have seemed to have one go right after the other. You may want to take it to a shop if you dont see or feel any improvement once your finished, and have them check the wheel bearing as was previously mentioned. I have also had to replace TWELVE OF THESE THINGS GRRRR (3 cars all 4 bearings, not at the same time thank God) the rear ones are the expensive ones. This may also be the EXTREMELY Rough 2 miles of gravel I have to drive to get to and from my home.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”