how do you know so much about cars??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Well hand on and the shop manual have been huge for me as well. My dad was big time into cars and my brother and I took up the hobby and we are always working on eachothers cars. He has an 87 gti, and with my mx3 theres usually always something to do. My dad got into it b/c he had something that needed fixed as was strapped for cash. he figured he'd let the tech kids fix his car to save money, and when he go there he realized he was just as smart as any kid there and if they could learn so could he. Basically if you want to learn about cars u just got to go get a car that can be worked on and a shop manual. I have to give props to MX-3.com because all the guys on here help so much and this is probably the best website out there for me. Thanks again Jeff and all the other moderators!!
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

David Witherow wrote:just go for it.....lol....thats what i did more or less....
Yep. Having the right tools and following directions is about as important as knowing what the hell you're doing. Ever notice they don't have a PHD in Automotive Repair? It's because it's not brain surgery.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

you could always just pretend that you know about cars... that's what i do, and i'm as cool as they come 8)
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

I dont know anything thats why im not a moderator...
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

so i was thinking of buying a shop manual. does that seem like a good investment...? :P
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Do it they are like the bible!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

93SOHC wrote:Do it they are like the bible!
hahha i was just kiddin around bud. i have one comin in the mail. seriously tho, thanks for all the input guys.

workin on a car can be i really ntimidating for newbies like myself, so all your posts have been really encouraging. i shoulda started this thread later -- all this talk has got me itching for spring to roll around!
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

It started as necessity for me. Had an accident, didn't wanna pay up, so I started buying parts and taking it apart (just had to replace parts, no paint was necessary). Clutch was going out, cv was clicking like mad, engine was wearing down, so I started buying parts and taking it apart. A book is necessary, especially for a newbie. and supportive, intelligent friends help alot as well. I wouldn't have gone through with my engine swap had it not been for an experienced friend jumping in to help.
When anything went wrong with any car I've had, I HAD to understand what had happened. and...I'd recently lost a lot of money due to lazy mechanics, so I decided it was on me.
Jump in it, with good planning and a good camera, get a nice tool set; then your learning will begin.
Welcome!
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well I tried osmosis.. slept with my shop manual under my pillow.. that didnt seem to work to well.. so I hung out with brilliant wrench turners and professional knucklebusters and learned that while I can usually do most automotive repairs if I have to.. I'd much rather pay someone else to do it for me :lol: I still do all of my own diagnostic work.. with help from the folks here (since I bought my MX-3 a couple of weeks ago) and help from friends and my uncle the machinist. But to be honest.. the sensors and computer stuff on cars today is a bit intimidating for me.. I come from the days of muscle cars (just cant afford to drive one daily anymore or I would still have one) I can rip down a small block chev and put it back together and firing in under 4 hours.. now where is the ECM located on my mazda? Got me LOL For me.. I try to learn from all sources.. yes a shop is going to do my head swap on my MX-3.. but I am building the head with my uncle. Speed is crucial for me here (The alternative is driving my Subaru XT.. yeah..) I guess the best way to learn is to ask and remember.. the dumbest question is one left unasked. Cheers :D

Tunes67
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

when you are first learning it helps to have a friend too...even if they don't know what they are doing, 2 heads are better than 1. the when you get pissed because something didn't work the way you wanted you can B.S. with them a little to chear you up.

and i actually have 2 shop manuals for my car...on accident though. my dad bought one for his 626 and when i got my car i bought one right away...later on i noticed that it was the same book.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Well, there's not much too it. It's pretty unanimous that you need to read and apply your knowledge/experience. The only other things I can suggest is to help out with other people's cars.--different cars even. That definitely helps broaden your knowledge being able to visiualize what you need to do.

The only thing not really mentioned yet is to join a sports car club. Easy way to learn from peole who already tune first hand, find out about events, and plus, you have help that's a phone call away.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”