Runs and then dies

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
NewHaven

Post by NewHaven »

OK so here is where I am right now. I finally got the chiltons manual so I have been reading my new bible. Ian I see what you mean. I have three problems. First the primary problem that I have a code 10 and now 8 too. Well there is not 5 volts at the connector for one of the terminals. Next the windshild wipers are on all the time. I can't turn them off any time the key is on. Yeah I do know how to opperate the switch too. Last the car won't crank. this is what I have tried to deal with most. So first I found the interlock switch and jumpered the thing with my handy paperclip and tried to start the car. Nothing. So I tested the voltage between the terminals of the switch and I got 11.5 volts. Next I jumpered from the positive terminal of the battery to the solenoid where the wire from the interlock switch ends up. Cranks. Ok this means that the problem is with the wire somewhere between the interlock swiitch and the solenoid. I tried to trace this and it is really long. Man the whole harness seems f___ed up. Any ideas??? Well I thought, "I got 220000 on the engine this seems like a reason to do a swap". I can clean the harness and check it out if the engine is out and the belts and water pump are pry getting old so the engine will be practically out for that. I got cash laying around. So I have been looking for an engine but I am not having much luck. First I am in Indiana and we have never boasted the highest mental fitness here. Next all the people in the junkyards are rednecks so that makes it all the worse (I still can't figure out why a northerner would proudly display the confederate flag). I called one place and said I was looking for a 626/MX6/probe GT engine and gave the specs and years. Then the guy asked what year my car is I told him 92 but it is an MX-3 with a 1.8. Then he started badgering me about the swap. Then he said all he had was a 2.2 liter and got mad. The next place I went said they had a 2.5 probe but when the guy typed stuff on the computer he looked at me with this dumb, blank look and said they have 2.2 and 3 L. So I want to know how to ID the KLDE (engine marks or what not) and what else should I grab while I am there? I know I need the VAF; how about an ECU? What tranny should I try to get? What is a good price?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”