K8 tranny on ZE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

K8 tranny on ZE?

Post by MX-3 Money »

So i'm already to get my ze put in, but i mechanic thinks i might have a problem with using my k8 tranny on the ze. Now I don't think its a problem at all and I wish I could just do the swap myself. I tried to find a FAQ on it here(automatic to manual sorta helped) and i searched for it but got too many posts. So with out telling me I'm stupid for asking this, has anyone had a problem with this tranny issue?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The tranny on the K8 is the EXACT SAME as the one on the Ford Probe V6, which has the same amount of torque as the KLZE.
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

you will have no problems putting the K8 tranny on the ZE, the only difference between the K8 tranny and KLDE tranny is the final gear ratio i believe, everything bolts right up.
This is correct, BUT.. the PGT and mx-3 trannies are identical. The Mx-6 tranny has the longer gear.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

you tell your mechanic to know his role and STFU, the K8 tranny is perfectly fine for the ZE
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Post by Guest »

The only problem I could see that your mechanic talking about is a ATX K8 tranny on a KLDE/KLZE
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Juans_MX3 wrote:The only problem I could see that your mechanic talking about is a ATX K8 tranny on a KLDE/KLZE
I'm not trying to jack this thread, but could you please explain in more detail. Currently, my 95 GS runs a stock V6 on it with an ATX, but I'm considering swapping up to a ZE in the future. Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to still use my ATX on the ZE, or will I have to consider swapping my tranny as well at the time of the engine swap???? :? Thanks in advance!
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

papa roached wrote:you tell your mechanic to know his role and STFU, the K8 tranny is perfectly fine for the ZE
HAHAHA....Thanks for all the info guys! And for not telling me I'm an idiot and should have searched for an answer myself. I guess after all there are nice guys on this board. Thanks again!!!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Chiggles wrote:
Juans_MX3 wrote:The only problem I could see that your mechanic talking about is a ATX K8 tranny on a KLDE/KLZE
I'm not trying to jack this thread, but could you please explain in more detail. Currently, my 95 GS runs a stock V6 on it with an ATX, but I'm considering swapping up to a ZE in the future. Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to still use my ATX on the ZE, or will I have to consider swapping my tranny as well at the time of the engine swap???? :? Thanks in advance!
The control of the MX-3 ATX is different to and not compatible with the control of the KL engined ATXs, so a plug-and-play swap can't be done. I think you either
[1] have to keep your MX-3 ATX, ECU and AT Control Unit, or
[2] swap in a KL ATX, ECU and ATCU (with appropriate wiring changes). It may be possible to cross-wire a hybrid, given all the technical data, but :roll:

However, I believe the MX-3 ATX is not really able to cope with the torque from a KL, so you should do [2].
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Post by Guest »

Just buy a used tranny that works with the K series engines.
I'm sure you can find a MTX with 60k miles for $700 bucks (US) that comes with everything (clutch, clutch cable, flywheel, ect).
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

I bought all the stuff i needed for my swap for about $400 (100k mi on tranny) without CV shafts. I went to the auto store and got CV shafts for 120 but they were the wrong ones and i lost the reciept.....****..... thats where I am right now im my K8/AT to KLZ/MT swap... some of the connectors I cannot find matches to, but I think they are for AT only so I'll let them hang and see what happens. I can't seem to find anyone willing to give me any information that has done the same swap so I'm kinda lost, and the fact that I don't have that much mechanical sense doesn't help either. Im surprised I got this far...lol

If you had a MT k8 and put in a KLZ, its a perfect match. papa roached said it best.
what kind of car IS that?
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

So, just so I understand this perfectly clear, if I'm going to consider swapping out the stock V6 that's in my MX-3 right now to a ZE, then what you're saying is that I should ALSO consider swapping out my stock ATX with a KL-type ATX as well, AND the the ECU, AND the ATCU??? Hmmm... so say I swap all 4 components out. Does anyone know how much this will cost in Canadian funds, or where I can get all this from??
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Can't answer about costs, but the alternative you could consider is selling your ATX car and buying a '95 or earlier MTX V6 car, and swapping in the KLZE and ECU into that. You keep the MTX, the KLZE ECU just plugs in (no wiring changes), and away you go.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

For wiring purposes, yes, that would be the most ideal circumstance, but it's not the most pratical in my case. Although the Precidia is my baby pretty much 99.9% of the time, the Mrs. may come to work once in a blue moon to borrow it from me to pick up groceries or something like that and she doesn't drive stick. On top of that, I mess around with things in the car too much like eating on the go, cellphone, adjusting audio settings, etc. Long term, ATX is more convenient for me, but I'd still like my car to have some pep. So everyone please tell me, if I were to keep an ATX running on my ride, and I do want to swap my K8 out for a KLZE, is it in my best interest to swap out the original ATX for a KL-type ATX, ECU, and ATCU as well??? Or am I able to run the ZE engine with any of the current K8 components??
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Chiggles wrote:... So everyone please tell me, if I were to keep an ATX running on my ride, and I do want to swap my K8 out for a KLZE, is it in my best interest to swap out the original ATX for a KL-type ATX, ECU, and ATCU as well??? Or am I able to run the ZE engine with any of the current K8 components??
The only point in swapping the engine is the extra torque of the KL. And the MX-3 ATX will die if you use that extra torque. So, if you swap the engine, there is only one way to go. (You can keep the VAF if it's a ZE.)

You didn't say what year your car is. If its a '96, it is OBDII, and the swap is even more complicated, because the ECU harness will need to be adapted to the KL ECU (I think its 77 out of 78 wiring changes for an ATX). But the plus side is that the OBDII KL ECU incorporates the ATCU function as well ( Hell, more wiring changes... :( )

Obviously, there is risk in fitting a used ATX from a car with unknown mileage. It would be better to get a remanufactured unit with a warranty. You get what you pay for :D
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Or you can get a ATX that works with the K series engines.
As long as its not the 1.8L ATX.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”