Jspec bp

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
obidun-ms-bp

Jspec bp

Post by obidun-ms-bp »

I purchased a bp online from a company that imports low mileage jspec engines about a year ago.I never really got to feel the power of the bp until 3 days ago when I finally completed the automatic to protege lx 5speed conversion.I have a few minor mods like intake and exhaust but when i drop the clutch in first this thing spins tires forever before launching.I was wondering if there is a horspower difference between jspec and aspec engines.I also noticed that when i buy belts,waterpumps,tps and other items for a 90-94 protege they dont fit ,however if i buy 97 protege belts and mx-3 waterpumps they do fit.the block has bp05 stamped on it so i know it has to be from a protege the questionis what year.has anyone ever heard of putting a later protege bp in a mx-3.
Obi-Dun the force is strong
Marlon

Re: Jspec bp

Post by Marlon »

i have a j-spec bp in my car too
i have never seen proof of the j-spec bp having more hp but i have heard that they have 135hp :shrug:

all i know is my car keeps up to cars it shouldn't keep up to when it was n/a

don';t know if it's true or not
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
BuGS

Re: Jspec bp

Post by BuGS »

The only thing i have heard thats different is the timing maps and whatnot avaiable from the Jspec ECU. That is what is suppose to make the extra 10 HP. Remember, When JSpec engines are tuned the Manufacturer only plans it to run for 4 yrs or 35,000Km. So they tend to make more power but also ruin the engines a bit faster....
Joe Carlson

Post by Joe Carlson »

Yeah i put a 97 model bp motor in my MX-3, i actually got mine out of a Kia Sophia, but it's the same as the protege's, and i just swapped all my pullys from the 91 EGT motor i had, and the crank pully as well, since that motor ran off of a CPS and a coilless dist. Mine is an aspec engine, but it only having 40k on it, i could really feel a difference from the tired BP motor i had in before it. On the head it also has the stamp BP05, but it sucks it has a little kia symbol right next to it. So did the EGT BP i used, but the first bp that i used which was out of a 90 Pro LX only has BP stamped on the head.
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”