ATX 93 Nitemare Like know of U have seen.

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
CanMX3atx

ATX 93 Nitemare Like know of U have seen.

Post by CanMX3atx »

Car is 93 MX V6 with ATX had it on the road less then a year.. 1st tranny rebuilt drove it 3 weeks. Then fuel pump let go.. got a new one.. 1 month later battery died.. got a new one.. 1 month after that hole in exhaust had to get a whole new cat-back... and 2 weeks later hole in gas tank.. got a new one.. 3 months later Speed Sensor goes.. and tranny blows.. out of warranty on rebuild.. get another rebuilt put in .. month later it goes.. so I get another one put in and the next day it goes... This car is a nitemare I am at my roots end.. now I am waitin on a rebuild on this last tranny and gonna install a aftermarket tranny cooler seems like problem with all these ATX units are overheating. Anyone have more to add cause my suggestion to ATX owners get an aftermarket ATX cooler.. and change oil and filter otherwise u may join me in the long list of repairs with this lemon.
guyaverage

Re: ATX 93 Nitemare Like know of U have seen.

Post by guyaverage »

One of three things is happening here. Either (1) the people rebuilding your trannys dont know what they are doing, (2) your driving habits are telling you to switch to a 5-speed, or (3) there is debris in the cooling lines and cooler in the radiator. If you arent flushing the radiator-mounted cooler before every tranny switch, there is probably bearing shavings and clutch pack material plugging it up, which is making your new tranny overheat, as well as it is sucking up all this crap and plugging your filter and valve body which is causing the new one to fail so soon. This many transmission failures is way out of line, even for the crappy one Mazda gave us. Get the radiator cooler flushed thoroughly by a shop, THEN install your aftermarket cooler spliced into the return cooler line. If you do this, and if the rebuilders are doing their job right, you should be ok.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Re: ATX 93 Nitemare Like know of U have seen.

Post by Nallboy »

(3) is prob your answer. I just replaced the tranny in my RS with a rebuild and bought a new torque converter. I also installed a small intercooler (about 6"x12"x3/4") in between the two grills and hooked the hoses up to it. When you destroy your tranny, alot of the crap makes itself a home in your radiator cooler. You'll want to get a new one. :shrug:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."

Return to “Transmissions”