Sticky tires

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Shady469
Supporting Member

Sticky tires

Post by Shady469 »

We got some of those Falken Azeni(spl?) in the shop yesterday and wow they were soft. they guy put them on his car (civic w/ B16b) and said he could tell a HUGE difference.
any way... for the season coming up i was wondering who is using what.i can't decide weither or not to get those, or the nittos.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
992mmx3

Re: Sticky tires

Post by 992mmx3 »

Hard choices, lol. I also recommend bridgestone potenza's.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Falkens are THE street tire to have in any SCCA street tire class. And they're cheap.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I have a good pair of sticky tires on the front... they have a little bit of Silica in 'em like most of the winter tires do... which makes 'em a little bit softer than most... plus they have that V design which is good for rain. So far I'm impress with these tires... they are Nexen N2000's... just on stock rims... around corners it handles well!<p>As for which tire to go with I have Falken's on the rear... can't remember what they are called... but they have that center groove, probably a rain tire... they're good... go with 'em...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

tough call there! When I do my tire set up I'm going with a set of 275/50/15 Nitto NT555R Drag radials ($150 each) on a set of 15x8 (5.5" backspace) Wheel Vintiques O6P Series Race Wheels designed specificaly for sport compact drag racing ($60 each). As for street tires I'm proably going w/ a set of 245/45/16 Yokahamma AVS ES 100's or Kuhmo Ecsta 712's (brand not decided yet). Wheel clearance should be fine but close. ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

I have to Nitto 450 and i really dont like them u cant get any grip. Know i have heard that the BFGoodrich the t/a are really good..
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

falken azenis all the way hands down. imo best bang for the buck tire.
davidosk024

Post by davidosk024 »

Falken <p>Are the best overall for bang for buck...<p>we have a rally crew over here who works on rally
cars for tarmac rallies and thats what they
use... also my roommate runs an evo5 with 230 KW
at the wheels, and hes running falkens.<p>Myself im running Dunlop, but after i get the mazdaspeed mags ill be swapping to the falkens
In
Eunos 30x, v6
KL-ZE, 2.5in exhaust, K&N intake
Unichip, LSD, 13lb flywheel, ACT2 clutch, NGK iridium Plugs, Top Gun Leads...<p>Goin In
Cams, Headers, TB, Extractors,
Bored to 2.8, Mazdaspeed Struts, Mazdaspeed strut tops,
Mazdaspeed swaybars, Eibach springs, Cusco Adj. Strut tops, Body kit, Altezza lights, Short shifter, Crossdrilled rotors and Calipers from AP racing, Braided brake lines, Braided clutch line, Mazdaspeed steering wheel, Mazdaspeed Leather shift knob,
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

if your dragging the azenis is probably not what you are looking for. they are sticky and hook well but not the greatest for drag.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Simple choice. If drag racing is your concern, get Nitto NT555Rs. If its not your main concern, get the Azenis.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

I'm going to try the Azeni's for the drags anyway.
Reason? Picked up two MX-3 14" alum rims cheap and 14" Azeni's are only $50 ea. vs. $80+ for the Nittos. I'll post with the results.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

thats pretty funny.. you think your going to put a 275 on an mx3 LOL LOL... even with hell back spacing your gonna be rubbing.. :roll:
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 93mxrgs:
thats pretty funny.. you think your going to put a 275 on an mx3 LOL LOL... even with hell back spacing your gonna be rubbing.. :roll: <hr></blockquote><p>?I dont under stand this post?
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

it was in regards to JWMotorsports post...<p>[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</p>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Thats why I'm using FRONT WHEEL DRIVE DRAG RACING RIMS, which are designed for putting meaty tires in places they weren't meant to be! The rims are 15x8's with 5.5" inch back spacing to push the rim out so it is manuverable enought at the drag strip to get where it needs to be. If I was just driving it down the road...then yea, it wouldn't take much to make em rub in a corner. The only time the Drag Rims & 275 width rub will be on the car is while it is at the drag strip. So either I'll use a roll back, or I'll change the my Drag Rims once I've gotten to the track.<p>If you still don't understand then look at Dave Lauser's (please excuse tha spelln) MX-3 or any of the Hot Rod class FWD drag cars. What do you think their running......205's?????? LOL. Any way...it can be done due to the fact if the rims don't back space enough you can use wheel spacers in addition. Caution....if you use wheel spacers, make sure your don't push your wheel load out to far or it will damage the wheel bearings & possible your axles. Their are a LOT of variables happening here you need to understand! ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”