Broken lugs

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
eore

Broken lugs

Post by eore »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew how to take off a broken lug. The lug moves around when you wiggle it and it moves forward and backwards too. It moving causes me some annoyance when I'm trying to put my wheel back on my car. I have spare lugs but I can't seem to figure out how to take the broken one out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Limegreen mx-3

Re: Broken lugs

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Originally posted by eore:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew how to take off a broken lug. The lug moves around when you wiggle it and it moves forward and backwards too. It moving causes me some annoyance when I'm trying to put my wheel back on my car. I have spare lugs but I can't seem to figure out how to take the broken one out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
use a hammer to pop it out u are talking about lugs right. Anyways use a screw driver and hammer it out should pop out the back side or the rotor. them put the new one on and hammer it in for behind. hope that helps laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

What has worked for me:

To remove the lug bolt-- A big ole 3 lb. hammer-- one whack dead-on and they are outta there. Any decently weighted hammer should do.

To install the new lug bolt-- There's a better way than a hammer. It can be hammered in but you risk not driving the knurled collar of the lug perfectly into place the first time and then more hammering can cause the new lug bolt to not be tightly seated.

Instead, place a stack of washers over the bolt threads after you've poked the new bolt thru by hand. The washers act like a sort of sleeve so that you can thread the lug nut by hand til it's snug against that stack of washers. At that point your new lug bolt will be perfectly positioned and held in place. Ratchet the lugnut tighter against the washers until additional force has pulled the lug bolt into place. It'll be installed perfectly first time/every time.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

If it is on teh front, you'll need to remove the entire spindle/bearing assembly which requires a press.

If its in the rear, you basically just remove the rear disc brakes & remove the 32mm nut holding the spindle/bearing assembly and then you can easily whack it out and press in a new one.

If you have rear drums..i'm not quite sure about how to remove the rear bearing. I think it still comes out just like the disc brakes, but on the front of either RS or GS you'll have to have a press to remove the spindle
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
If it is on teh front, you'll need to remove the entire spindle/bearing assembly which requires a press.

If its in the rear, you basically just remove the rear disc brakes & remove the 32mm nut holding the spindle/bearing assembly and then you can easily whack it out and press in a new one.

If you have rear drums..i'm not quite sure about how to remove the rear bearing. I think it still comes out just like the disc brakes, but on the front of either RS or GS you'll have to have a press to remove the spindle
Correct...

The rear drums are quite simple. Take the drum off and hammer the old stud out. The bearings are'nt an issue with the drums.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”