A/C Question

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Eric Moore

A/C Question

Post by Eric Moore »

Started up the car yesterday morning...and noticed that I had no a/c. So I figured I'm probably out of refrigerant (Retro-fitted to R134). Tried to recharge it, and about a few seconds after charging, all of the refrigerant I added seemed like it was blowing out of some kind of pressure relief valve or something on the bottom side of the compressor/condensor. Somebody mind trying to give me a hand with this one? I dont know much about a/c units. This is in the 4 cyl SOHC atx if that matters. Damnit its fuggin hot down here in south florida without a/c right now!!!! :crying:
Project Holy Crap!!!
L10 ATX Trannny In!

Project Turbo!!!
Finally Found A 5 Speed MX-3 in decent shape! B6T On The way now!

"Is it a mini-Skyline or an uderstated Supra hunter..."
RB25DET getting dropped into the 240SX as you read! Pics and Dyno graph coming soon!!
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: A/C Question

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I'm no a\c expert but it sounds as though you have a leaky compressor unit. South Fla. in the summer-ouch. You could try adding sealant to the system but if it's that loud it's probably too big a leak to be fixed that way. Worth getting it looked at by a shop. They should be able to tell ya in a heartbeat. If you end up having to replace the compressor, figure on replacing the receiver/dryer canister as well as I believe that is pretty standard practice.
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore »

I think I figured it out...theres a small valve on the right hand side and below the compressor as you look at it from the front of the car. Thats where the refrigerant was coming from. I took it off and inside it looked like it had a small crack on the valve portion itself. Tried to to a cheap fix just to see if that was the problem with some JB Weld and some B sealant. It worked for a little bit. but the pressure eventually broke through that (of course). Now I just have to figure out what the heck the name of the part is. Unfortunatly I'll probably have to go through Mazda to get my hands on a replacement. Unless by some chance somebody out there has a junked 4 cyl that I can get the part off of cheaply (preferrably free :D ) If somebody does, give me a shout and I'll gladly handle the shipping and all.
Project Holy Crap!!!
L10 ATX Trannny In!

Project Turbo!!!

RB25DET getting dropped into the 240SX as you read! Pics and Dyno graph coming soon!!
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Their are a few different "valves" on the compressor. According to my Mazda shop manual (for a 95 but should be the same or close for a 134 retrofitted 93?), you are probably seeing the "pressure relief valve" based on your described location. You could always go into a dealer and have them pull the compressor diagram up on screen, get the price & availability, then tell em you'll think about it-leave and try to find it cheaper elsewhere. Not an honorable approach but definitely does work... uhhh... so I've been told ;)
Eric Moore

Post by Eric Moore »

Thats what I was figuring it was. I just dread dealing with Mazda at times...gives me a bad cas of the runs...or somethin like that...
Project Holy Crap!!!
L10 ATX Trannny In!

Project Turbo!!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”