Ground Control How low can I go

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
JCali

Ground Control How low can I go

Post by JCali »

Sup guys<P> I just got my coilovers...I'm about to install, I got 17's on there I plan on going about 1/2-3/4 inch above the wheel well...The gap right now kills me! But at runs I might get a little lower, but my friend told me that when his GC were slammed they just ate up the stock shocks. Should I be really worried or should I keep saving for the shocks...I'm not a AutoX or Dragster, but I don't want look like a poor ricer either.<P>JCali
Sean Mandell

Re: Ground Control How low can I go

Post by Sean Mandell »

u should get performance struts if u want 2 slam it. your stock struts are not for race and a 1 inch drop is pushing it. for 17 inch rim with low profile tire a 2 inch drop will be sufficiant for street and 2 3/4 for race.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

man those 17's are going to kill your acceleration.....rotating mass is bad......you shouldn't have to go more than a 1.7 wit those 17's to get ride of that gap......you could sell the 17's get good struts and some nice 16-15 inch Black spoonies or rota's..they will be far superior with racing auto x and maybe alittle streetracing, your car would look like a JDM sleeper with the black light weight spoonies and all the rice boys will be wondering what you got under the hood... remember form before function :)
Steve
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

the guy said he wasn't AuotX or draggster. And Jcali dont listen to this guy bout your 17's. Oh an just for in the future, just cause someone has 17 inch rims that doesn't mean that the gap will lesson just cause they are bigger, because the tires that are on the stock wheel are not low pro so they are alot thicker,unlike 17's which you would most likely put low pros on. When you put the two one on top of the other there bout the same size with tires on therefore making the gap the same
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

My bad man I can't read it was late and s--- when I read it I thougth you said you <BR>auto xed and draged allwell....and 17's with 40 series tires are bigger than stock I read this on cork sport when they put 17's on their mx3.....and the fact that they weigh alot will effect acceleration (that's why people put their steelies on when they go to the track)........anyway's for show 17's look real good on mx 3's because of that huge wheel well gap, they look like a perfect fit :)
Steve
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Anything over 1.5" drop on a MX-3 is really pushing it. It just doesnt have enough suspension travel up front. You WILL ride on the bumpstops in corners.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

hey pretege with the 1.7 Apex springs you would have to cut the bump stops down abit????
Steve
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

well im not sure what size wheels come with other MX-3's mine are 15's im not sure if thats any different with SE's which I have

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”