I need some turbo help

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
SE-Man

I need some turbo help

Post by SE-Man »

Ok, here is the set up for my K8,

A Mitsubishi TE04H (from a Shelby Z)rated for 22PSI max and spools in low RPMS.

A Shelby Z Waistgate aculater set for 15psi max.

No IC as of yet(but still looking).

626 Fuel pump Mod.(simular to the RX-7 Mod.) w/ Probe 2.5 Filter.

DE Injectors.

Planning to use a manual boost control to keep it around 6-8psi.

My questions are , is their anything importaint that I'm missing?

How do I run the oil lines, and do I need a pump?

Is their anything I can do better, or I'm doing wrong?

What exactly dose a Blow Off Valve do (it wasn't covered in MaxBoost)and do I need one?

I'd like to make sure I cover all my bases before I start a project like this, so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: I need some turbo help

Post by babyblueMX3 »

ok about the oil feed line..there is 2 choices..either the block (there's an hex plug on the block in the frnot near the tranny) or tap your oil sending unit.. the know the specs for your turbo for how many oil psi you need so I don't know if you need a restrictor or not..
oil drain: just tap the oil pan the highest possible and use at least 1/2" drain hose.

bov: basically what a bov do it relief the pressure when the throttle is closed (when you shift and idle)...under hard acceleration, you shift than where the air your turbo is feeding go?..it vents to the atmosphere (or return to the intake iwth a bypass valve)...it prevents air going back into the turbo so it ain't slowing down.

I could still help you but I got to run..I'll write other things when I'll come back.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

sorry about the rushed answer.... I was in a hurry..

yes you need a blow off valve! it's essantial
I doubt the 626 fuel pump will be good enough to handle the pressure...get one of those walbro 255lph hi pressure..

waht are you going to do fuel wise..meaning how are you going to up the fuel pressure in relation of the boost..fmu, stand alone, sds additional injectors ?

how much psi are you planning to run with the turbo..

and about the oil pump..it depends on where you are going to mount the turbo...if it really low like same heighe as the oil pan..you may need one for the oil return
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
thebox

Post by thebox »

Originally posted by SE-Man:
Ok, here is the set up for my K8,

A Mitsubishi TE04H (from a Shelby Z)rated for 22PSI max and spools in low RPMS.

A Shelby Z Waistgate aculater set for 15psi max.

No IC as of yet(but still looking).

626 Fuel pump Mod.(simular to the RX-7 Mod.) w/ Probe 2.5 Filter.

DE Injectors.

Planning to use a manual boost control to keep it around 6-8psi.

My questions are , is their anything importaint that I'm missing?

How do I run the oil lines, and do I need a pump?

Is their anything I can do better, or I'm doing wrong?

What exactly dose a Blow Off Valve do (it wasn't covered in MaxBoost)and do I need one?

I'd like to make sure I cover all my bases before I start a project like this, so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Long time no see! :D Hows it going? Just wondering where you are getting exhaust pipe made! I remember you talking about this project a long time ago but i've forgotten what you said. Also are you going to do a FMIC or SM?
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Hey David, whats up? I was waiting for my Brother-in-law to get his MX3, but he was unable to get one so I'm starting with out him. Have you done you ZE swap yet?

I plan to make the pipes myself, I'm a decent arc weilder and I'm getting a pipe bender soon. I'll likly have to get the adapeters made by someone else (likly my father).

So do you go to TCC? I've seen your car in the back lot a couple of times on my way to class.

Do you know any body or place that is selling a used V6 distributor? I think mines bad and causing all my grief.

Later
thebox

Post by thebox »

yeah ZE swap is done! :) glad to see you back, i was starting to think you'd left us until i saw you driving a few days ago (and i saw yer car at TCC, yep i go there too) :D

<small>[ October 07, 2004, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: thebox ]</small>
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hey, SE-Man, not trying to sound like a **** or anything, but why didn't you just get a ZE instead of doing all that work on the K8? I see you know your stuff thought!! :D Also, that's cool of you to write what you did about street racing.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Hey mdavis, Its ok, I get that question alot, Mostly I did it becuse it was cheaper than the ZE swap for me and it was different, I have a friend that wooks in a machine shop and he did the block work for free I just had to supply a new block. My father and uncle are machinist that do all kinds of race auto and motorcycle work, and I got a good deal on a port and polish from the Army MWR Auto shop ($19 a head), and I got new/refurb heads from a well Known and trusted MXer on here for like $50US bucks. so in the end with installation my engine cost only $1,300 USD with a value on the engine of close to $5,000USD.

Hey David, after the wreck I wasn't sure I was even going to keep the MX (I've had my eye out for a RX7). I posted on here a while back about it I do belive, I was rear-ended by my Brother-in-laws 4X4 Jeep Cherokee Destroyed most of my hatch/rear-end. I've fixed most all of it, the amazing thing is my Altezza's came out with only a small crack. Next time you look at my car you'll notice the black hatch. We have to meet up some time now that we attend the same college.
You don't by any chance have an extra distributor after your swap you'd be willing to sell?

Later
thebox

Post by thebox »

sorry, no extra distributor... funny i didn't notice a black hatch when i saw your car! i was looking at the back of it too, and somehow failed to notice... i was even thinking to myself that it didn't look like it had been hit (i remembered you posting that a few months ago) :D

<small>[ October 08, 2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: thebox ]</small>
1992 MX-3 GS

babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you guys should talk on aol or something :shrug: ..
this as become way off topic
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I'm looking to mount it in eather the area were my air box was, or down near the CAT. I Know what I have to do if its near the CAT oil wise. I'm only planning 8PSI so from what I've read the 626 pump and the DE injecters should be enough. I'll likly get MSG for better spark. The only other issues is where to run the water lines, but that will be pretty easy. Where exactly is the Hex plug at? and do you know the size of the hole? I'm sure the turbo will be a good fit, the specs on the 2.5 I took it off of are about the same for the K8.

Why dosn't Mr. Bell discusse the BOV in MaxBoost if its importaint?
Oh-Well I'll do more research on it.

Thanks
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

If your plan on running 8psi, id make sure to have a intercooler. Without it your intake charge is going to be so hot and you wont get as much power as you'd want and possibly get detonation.

Also as Babyblue said proper fuel management is essential. Get an Apexi AFC a fuel pressure regulator and a A/F gauge. Might want a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge too. Both are good to keep an eye on your engine, because even with a MBC you might not be getting the boost you set it at because of pressure drop, or leaks in your piping. The Oil pressure gauge is good to watch for drops in pressure. It saved my friends ZC turbo civic when his oil feed line burst and lost all his oil. Without it he probably wouldnt have noticed untill it was too late.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Well the gauges are a gimme, I know the importance. I'm getting an IC, just havn't found one yet. I'm looking for the RX7's Turbo II IC to mount in my scoop.
What type of BOV is best for the set up I'm doing?

Thanks

Return to “Forced Induction”