larger injectors setup

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
BATTOSAI

larger injectors setup

Post by BATTOSAI »

I´m turbocharging my K8 engine and for the target power I´m searching, I need to run larger injectors in order to not give such high fuel pressure to give a certain fuel flow. I swapped injectors with the Kl ones, adn foe what I read, They can´t idle because of the greater fuel flow. I suppose that lowering the fuel pressure at idle will keep a healthy idle, but I don´t know how. I have also an Apex'i S/AFC to fine tune it, but I´m not sure if this would be enough. I have a FMU to rise fuel pressure according to boost, so lowering the base fuel pressure won´t be dangerous. Any suggestion on how can I modify the stock fuel pressure regulator? any other suggestion?
European Mx3 GsRT
Sonicxtacy02

Re: larger injectors setup

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

You could always buy an aftermarket FPR. I cant remember who the company is that sells them (starts with a "b"), but you can get them from <A HREF="http://www.jcwhitney.com" TARGET=_blank>www.jcwhitney.com</A> . You might also wanna try <A HREF="http://www.mazdamaniac.com" TARGET=_blank>Jeff's site</A> . His is a slightly different setup but he pretty much lays it out for you on how to manage fuel.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Just wondering, but why would you turbo the K8? Seems like it would be much smarter to swap in the 2.5L and then turbo that to get to your hp goals. Cranking out X amount of power out of a 2.5L will be a lot easier on the engine than doing so on a 1.8L engine.<P>Corky Bell mentions that in Maximum Boost ;)(saw it in your sig)
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

when I have enough money I will swap, and then I will have a turbocharged Kl, working for the K8 is the same than working for the Kl, and if I blow this motor I will have an excuse to swap earlier!!
European Mx3 GsRT
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

I threw an eye on Jeff´s page, but for what I read, he couldn´t manage the larger injectors to run Ok, so he had to upgrade the fuel pump to achieve the needed fuel flow with the stock injectors, which is an issue that I don´t want to mess up. I think that he ran lean at high RPM because his injectors were out of range and got static.I´d like to stay at logical fuel pressure levels!
European Mx3 GsRT
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BATTOSAI:<BR><STRONG>when I have enough money I will swap, and then I will have a turbocharged Kl, working for the K8 is the same than working for the Kl, and if I blow this motor I will have an excuse to swap earlier!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>the turbos will be the totally wrong size, as well as your injectors for the KL vs the K8.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Check out <A HREF="http://www.hksusa.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hksusa.com</A> Thier Super AFR fuel computer might be better than the APEXi Super-AFC. HKS's Super AFR adds a nice feature your looking for....idle A/F adjustments of +50% or -50% for idle at 650-1500RPM. Plus it is 11 point adjustable +50% or -50%. Or you could go back to stock injectors & use the HKS AIC III (Additional Injector Controller). Your best & safest bet would be a Stand Alone such as the Haltek E6K. ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

I know for sure that the injector´s size will be wrong, that´s obvious, and refeering for the turbo size a T3 will work O.K for both engines, as I have targeted a 7 psi boost as maximum boost.All the exhaust and intake piping, control devices, FMU installation, turbo oil lines, turbo water-cooling lines, gauges, and intercooler can be shared by both platforms. I´m not installing a T2 or something that will be quite small for the Kl, as swapping is really what I have really in mind, but the K8 can be a good platform to develop my turbocharging skills, as it is my first forced induction project.It´s a lot easier to tune than to start from zero, don´t you agree?<BR>Apart from the HKS unit, do you know any web page or source where they don´t use additional injectors or fuel pump beefing?<BR>Thank you for your input guys!<p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: BATTOSAI ]
European Mx3 GsRT
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BATTOSAI:<BR><STRONG>I know for sure that the injector´s size will be wrong, that´s obvious, and refeering for the turbo size a T3 will work O.K for both engines, as I have targeted a 7 psi boost as maximum boost.All the exhaust and intake piping, control devices, FMU installation, turbo oil lines, turbo water-cooling lines, gauges, and intercooler can be shared by both platforms. I´m not installing a T2 or something that will be quite small for the Kl, as swapping is really what I have really in mind, but the K8 can be a good platform to develop my turbocharging skills, as it is my first forced induction project.It´s a lot easier to tune than to start from zero, don´t you agree?<BR>Apart from the HKS unit, do you know any web page or source where they don´t use additional injectors or fuel pump beefing?<BR>Thank you for your input guys!<P>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: BATTOSAI ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, luckily, we have dyno plots to show :)<P>Ill agree that a T3 would be good on a K8. NOW...i dont think a T3 would be good on a KL. <P>Here is Darin's KL with a T3 at 8 psi. Notice that power drops off after 5000 rpm. The turbo cannot flow enough mass of air. Its simply NOT efficient with that motor. Check your compression maps.<BR> <A HREF="http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/images/KL/dyno242.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/images/KL/dyno242.jpg</A> <P><BR>Ok...now here's the dyno of a PROPERLY SIZED turbo on a KL.<BR> <A HREF="http://images.geekazoids.net/282whp.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://images.geekazoids.net/282whp.jpg</A> <P>Thats Ray's setup. As you can see, a MUCH nicer curve. Thats a T3/T04e hybrid IIRC. David will be able to provide more detail im sure.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

good info man! Do you know if Darin used an intercooler? maybe he got so hot that it soaked power! Was his fuel delivery good?
European Mx3 GsRT
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Returning to the larger injectors issue, I´ve seen fuel pump upgrades that provide higher voltage to them producing greater fuel flow. What do you thing on creating an electronic device that do the opposite at low throttle? if we steal voltage to the fuel pump it will actually run slower, reducing the fuel pressure on the whole system. I though on a vacuum switch that directs the fuel pressure voltage lines to a resistor, only when the engine is in vacuum mode, so when that condition starts to lessen up ( because of the boost), it will allow the standard voltage to run free. All that would be needed is a fuel pressure gauge to set it up, a vacuum dependant switch (If they actually exist), a relay used as a commuter, and a vairable resistor to fine tune the voltage drop. (I know I´m a bit surrealistic!)<p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: BATTOSAI ]
European Mx3 GsRT
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BATTOSAI:<BR><STRONG>good info man! Do you know if Darin used an intercooler? maybe he got so hot that it soaked power! Was his fuel delivery good?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Both had a large FMIC.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BATTOSAI:<BR><STRONG>Returning to the larger injectors issue, I´ve seen fuel pump upgrades that provide higher voltage to them producing greater fuel flow. What do you thing on creating an electronic device that do the opposite at low throttle? if we steal voltage to the fuel pump it will actually run slower, reducing the fuel pressure on the whole system. I though on a vacuum switch that directs the fuel pressure voltage lines to a resistor, only when the engine is in vacuum mode, so when that condition starts to lessen up ( because of the boost), it will allow the standard voltage to run free. All that would be needed is a fuel pressure gauge to set it up, a vacuum dependant switch (If they actually exist), a relay used as a commuter, and a vairable resistor to fine tune the voltage drop. (I know I´m a bit surrealistic!)<P>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: BATTOSAI ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Aeromotive makes a device that does this. <A HREF="http://www.summitracing.com" TARGET=_blank>www.summitracing.com</A><p>[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: pelado ]
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

do you know how it is called? I can´t found it on AM home page. Thank you Pelado, I had no idea that it exists
European Mx3 GsRT
pelado

Post by pelado »

This is from the Summit online catalog:<P>AEI-16302 Fuel Pump Controller, Kit, Solid State Electronics, Adjust., Red Billet Alum. $189.95
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “Forced Induction”