venting bov into maf intake stream?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
JWMotorsports

Re: venting bov into maf intake stream?

Post by JWMotorsports »

Lets make this REALY simple (as someone else suggested). If you do the motor swap, want it to run as efficient as possible, produce as much performance as possible, and weather you want the cool sound or not....GET A STAND ALONE. I have the swap & am venting to the atmosphere. Does it work? YES, <B>BUT</B> as I watch the A/F guage it goes fairly rich, then almost leans out as the ECU tries to compencate & then returns back around stoich. So....you say, well as long as it's not really rich.....HAHA your fooled! The overly rich mixture slowly eats your piston rings. My compression was perfect across all 4 cylenders when installed. Now it's droped to: cyl#1 130PSI, cyl#2 115psi, cyl#3 115psi, cyl#4 120psi. Not terrible YET, but not that great either. Now hear is the other reason I suggest the stand alone. At partial throttle the SOB waives around stoich but likes to bounce over lean fairly often just for a split second. At mid throttle it stays pretty stoich. At full throttle the ECU switches to WOT & the APEXi S-AFC switches to high throttle where I had to lean out the entire fuel curve 50% to compensate for my injectors & it STILL runs a tad rich. I've upgraded part of the ignition to help burn off the left over fuel but I think the rings will still wear...just a lot slower. So no matter what, I'd suggest stand alone engine management to ANY swaper or turbo charger in here. Plus then you can vent to the atmosphere & it gets rid of the ristrictive air flow meter SAFELY! :D
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
maldo

Post by maldo »

Ever wonder why all the Miata owners use either the FM Link, E6K or the TEC-II/III? It just works that much better on our cars.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>Sorry, I'm hardheaded and turbos have been around a long time on street machines before BOVs appeared. <P>I'm betting that for most turbos no damage would be done unless you have the boost way up there. Obviously I'm also betting that BOVs are window dressing for all the turbos only running 5-7 psi.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>actually, it does make them last longer. Easier on the internal bearings and such. ALL oem turbos have BOVs now. Volvos, Saabs, DSMs.... most are VERY quiet, or vent back into the intake tract.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

OK, I'm sold on the part about excessive wear on the thrust bearing.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “Forced Induction”