b6t swap....Maldo?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

b6t swap....Maldo?

Post by cjthor »

Hey guys.<BR> I am soo looking into a j spec b6t and was wondering what the wiring was like. I know that this swap isnt the hardest of swaps. I have a crapload of tools an a shop to be in.<BR>I think Maldo has done this swap. Exactly how much of a pain in the arse was it? I know the jspec has a larger turbo and different intake right? ;) Thanks in advance.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
maldo

Re: b6t swap....Maldo?

Post by maldo »

The wiring is a massive pain in the a--. I fiddled around with it for nearly 3 months before giving up. The problem lies in the different technologies, mx-3 uses '90+ and the 323 uses '86-89. The ecu used in the GT/GTX doesn't contain all of the functions that the mx-3 ecu does, instead it relies on an electric load control unit which operates many peripheral functions of the motor. I am sure that blending the two technologies could be done but it would take some doing, plus what is the point. If you use the gtx ecu you are now stuck with a vaccum advance disty that uses the old springs and weights. By swapping to a Pro LX ecu you get the benefit of using your newer MX-3 ecu. Once this is figured out the wiring is quite simple. There will be the odd wire that needs lengthening on the MX-3 harness, some connectors need to be swapped (or you could swap the sensor). Other than that the wiring is quite simple. There are a few other things that need to be done, you will need a set of Pro Lx injectors and a FC3S (non-turbo) MAF. The tranny needs to be modified if you are doing the swap in an sohc. Basically you need an angle grinder to get rid of some extra metal back on the passenger side of the diff to allow the axle to pass through. Other than that there isn't much too it. <P>The Jspec B6T come with a different turbo but that is fairly meaningless as it has little to do with the difference in power. The majority comes from the ecu programming which reaps the benefits of premium gas. The intake is different but I still doubt that it would allow you to get away without putting a hood scoop on. The differences are that the main area is a box section instead of the slanted configuration on the NA model.<P>Hope this helps.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

??So does the ECU from the protege plug right in? Do you know what wires i need to cut or modify? I am thinkin about getting an apexi controller but am not too sure.. Hmm sounds like there isnt much of an advantage to the jspec...Do you know what plugs i need to find and what is that MAF off of? You can email me if ya want at cjthor@hotmail.com. THANKS!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

chris i was wondering if you knew whether the pro lx ecu will work for the BPT in a DOHC 1.6l? just wondering cause it would be a lot easier and probly cheaper to find a pro lx ecu then the BPT ecu. just wondering if you knew the answer to my mind numbing question :)<P>jeremy [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!

Return to “Forced Induction”