Project LSD is nearing completion!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Project LSD is nearing completion!

Post by cjthor »

Well Derrick at corksport FINALLY called me and said that my Mazdaspeed LSD is in. I am bringing the tranny to him tomorrow and getting the darn thing installed hopefully by Wednesday. By the way it is a Protege tranny not an mx3 tranny.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
marshmallow15

Re: Project LSD is nearing completion!

Post by marshmallow15 »

i never knew mazdaspeed made an lsd for the protege? which gen? :2thumbsup:
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

[quote]Originally posted by marshmallow15:
i never knew mazdaspeed made an lsd for the protege? which gen? ;)
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

try and get is much info on the lsd install cause i want a lsd but don;t know if a local shop could do it
i heard i need quaife bolt kit but modified or something

thanks
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Hey, I plan on installing an LSD when I swap in my ZE (prob in a couple months). I was talking to a guy on the site who's done the LSD swap, and he just drilled his OEM axles instead of buying those specially designed. Please post more info/pics of your LSD swap. Would be nice to get that tranny from a Protege; won't have many miles on it most likely. Does it bolt straight up (besides the axle stuff)? Also, how much did it run you? Some can get really expensive. :2thumbsup:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by Nallboy:
Hey, I plan on installing an LSD when I swap in my ZE (prob in a couple months). I was talking to a guy on the site who's done the LSD swap, and he just drilled his OEM axles instead of buying those specially designed. Please post more info/pics of your LSD swap. Would be nice to get that tranny from a Protege; won't have many miles on it most likely. Does it bolt straight up (besides the axle stuff)? Also, how much did it run you? Some can get really expensive. :2thumbsup:
Drilling axles? I was unaware of the need to drill the axles. As far as I am aware the tranny will bolt up with no modification. I have all the axles out of the protege so I might just need to get a custom jackshaft. I will keep you all in the loop.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i think you will have the first mx-3 with a mazdaspeed lsd in there = very pimp.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Yeah, the main reason most people haven't swapped in the a LSD tranny is because of the axle problem. It could be possible you won't have it. I've never heard of this tranny.
Hey, if it works out I'll prob be #2! Good Luck!

<small>[ April 19, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Nallboy ]</small>
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Yeah, the main reason most people haven't swapped in the a LSD tranny is because of the axle problem. It could be possible you won't have it. I've never heard of this tranny.
You have never heard of what tranny? The one I am using is a 93 protege 5 speed. Pretty normal tranny.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Originally posted by cjthor:
You have never heard of what tranny? The one I am using is a 93 protege 5 speed. Pretty normal tranny.
this may clear up some confusion

internals of f and g series transmissions are interchangable. this makes the lsd on the new msp a viable option to the quafie.

see jarid, i told u that u have the cleanest, best looking mx3. no competition. :pimp:
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Yeah, I was sying that I'd not known that Mazdaspeed came out with a LSD tranny for their protege. I also didn't know how closely related they are. Thanks for the link, Steeb! :2thumbsup:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I was messing with my Tochigi Fugi Sangyo LSD a couple of weekends ago. The problem with installing it is the fact that the mazdaspeed protege has no speedometer gear, it uses its ABS sensors to sense speed.

So you ahve to fabricate a way to fit the speedometer ring onto the new differential. THere is also the issue with fitting the axles. Apparently the 3rd gen proteges use a different output shaft size than the older G-series transmissions. I actually haven't test fitted an axle into my new diff to figure out if this is a problem, but I'm hoping my 1998 626 transmission will work good with this differential.

For the price, this diff is a friggin steal! you only need to buy a pair of bearings and nuts and another speedometer ring (unless you want to reuse yours, which might break during removal) plus the differential. You can get it from a lot of places for $600ish. You don't want to know what I paid, you'd all kill me hehehehe.

BTW: its a 2-way clutch type differential. Better than a "vicuous" and not quite as good as "gear driven" type (which is what the quaife is). 2-way means it works during both accel and deceleration. Its a very good unit and guys with turbo 3rd gen pro's are using them with no problems and are raving about its performance.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
You can get it from a lot of places for $600ish. You don't want to know what I paid, you'd all kill me hehehehe.

Yea you REALLY dont want to know what I got it for...below dealer wholesale. Basically cost plus 10%
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

P.S. I am getting the tranny speedo housing machined so my stock mx3 speedo gear fits. There is a place called www.pineappleracing.com that specializes in Mazda performance here in Portland. They are doing the machining and the installation off the diff for me.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

can some one please list the mazda part number, so I can order one from my local mazda dealership
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”