serious question

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Noobi

serious question

Post by Noobi »

I have noticed that a lot of people around here aren't too fond of Hondas, so I'm asking that you please keep the flaming out of here and give serious, honest answers. I currently have a 99 Civic EX stock, automatic. I'm looking to get an MX-3 with stick as a second car. From what i've been able to tell, there are 3 stock engines on the MX-3, the SOHC 4cyl, the DOHC 4cyl, and the V6. I would like the MX-3 I get to have better acceleration than my Civic, or else what's the point. I'm using my limited knowledge of cars to guess that the SOHC would have less, the DOHC would be about even, and the V6 would have a decent edge in acceleration. Thanks in advance for your help and again, please keep the anti-Honda flaming out of here.

<small>[ March 29, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Noobi ]</small>
Silver O1 Miata LS 6spd
http://www.cardomain.com/id/noobiata
Talon_66

Re: serious question

Post by Talon_66 »

V6
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

V6 :driver:

... oh and ignore my signature HE HE HE

<small>[ March 29, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Sam Baker ]</small>
92 Autozam AZ3
Noobi

Post by Noobi »

So I was accurate in my assessment?

Your signature doesn't bother me that much. I'm definately not a Honda fiend or anything like that, but I do like my Civic. I just wanted to get an honest opinion, not someone who was like "all MX-3s rule and Honda's suck!" And it gets bonus points b/c that is an awesome movie.
Silver O1 Miata LS 6spd
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I hope you know how to work on cars. A 99 Honda probably hasn't taught you anything about working on a car.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

LOL yea.. great flick ;)
but dude, if you want an mx3.. and you want performance.. then theres only the V6 model for you! if you get the 88hp 4cyl, you'd have to do a swap (which would kick *** cuz the BPT's have 210hp).. but i'd say, right off the bat do drive a MX3 GS and see what u think. too slow? -> swap in the 200hp JDM motor and have a wicked car. lol but i hope ur ok getting an old car (since they stopped making the V6 model in 94, and stopped mx3's in 96) anywayz good luck
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

even the v6 is slow. don't expect much. all i can say is test drive something before you commit to it. not flaming our cars, just being honest. they're not fast.
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
Noobi

Post by Noobi »

I don't really need a speed demon; if the GS has more pep than my EX, that's good enough for me for right now. I don't mind that the MX-3s are old, I think they look good. It would be something for me to play around with and learn how to drive a stick well, and something I can learn more about cars with by working on it a little here and there.

In the fall I will be teaching full time, so I will have more coin in my pocket, which means I could start upgrading and make a zoomer out of her.

<small>[ March 29, 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Noobi ]</small>
Silver O1 Miata LS 6spd
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

lets say Gs 5spd will kick civic *** , and thats enough, no it wont beat s2000 or some new $30k honda product but for 10+ y/o car it kicks ***
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Noobi

Post by Noobi »

but could it beat the 99 SI American version? I think that is the fastest of all stock civics, unless one of the Del Sol's is faster.
Silver O1 Miata LS 6spd
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I was driving Civic for the last three years (LX model with 4 doors). Honestly, Civic has more room, smooth acceleration, and I believe a bit more quiet inside. It was such a good car to drive around.

Before Civic, I was driving 95 RS with automatic. It's not that fast, but it was simply more fun to drive.

Now, I just got my 93 RS with stick shift. This one, even with SOHC, seems to go very fast. My previous owner actually had a test-drive and GS model (with V6 engine) was scary-fast. To me, my SOHC engine entertains me every time I drive. As everyone told you, you'd better have a test-drive and see how you feel on mx-3. I hepe you like it.

bungo
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Originally posted by Noobi:
but could it beat the 99 SI American version? I think that is the fastest of all stock civics, unless one of the Del Sol's is faster.
maybe not but you can put $500 into it and run gsr's type R's that are twice as much $$ than mx3
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

the 99 civic si has 160 hp vs the mx3's 130.

now say you can get a 93-94 GS for $3000 and decide "I wanna blow the doors off of the stock SI" then you go buy yourself a ZE and drop it in there, instant 200 hp. for less than you'd be paying to get a 160hp civic you'd be getting a 200hp mx3. you win with the mx3 no matter how you look at it.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Originally posted by johnnyb:
the 99 civic si has 160 hp vs the mx3's 130.

now say you can get a 93-94 GS for $3000 and decide "I wanna blow the doors off of the stock SI" then you go buy yourself a ZE and drop it in there, instant 200 hp. for less than you'd be paying to get a 160hp civic you'd be getting a 200hp mx3. you win with the mx3 no matter how you look at it.
just what ive said lol
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

Yeah an mx-3 with a klze will blow the doors off any civic! and the stock 99 civic SI does not have near 160hp. My friends SI was dynoed and he ran about 109hp. The SIR on the other hand has 160 but maybe thats what you meant. Anyway dont mean to ragg on anyone. Mx-3 is such a nicer car and so much more rare then those 200 civics you will see on the way to work everyday!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”