Cracking Paint

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
whitemike10601

Cracking Paint

Post by whitemike10601 »

ok, this is my first post:
i am going to get my paint touch up after i get some body pieces, still not decided on keeping raspberry metallic or not, might be too much trouble and money to change.
any way the traingle shaped mirror mount paint is cracked all over and i don't know why. i noticed the material is kind of soft in the curvy spots but i don't think this is why it cracked as it is the same on the passenger side and the paint is not cracked. btw the paint is cracked all over the mirror mount, not only in the soft spots, just wondering if this is normal befor i paint over it and if not what could be some possible solutions.
thanks
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Cracking Paint

Post by mitmaks »

paint on my mirrors is cracked too, its normal for 11 y/o car, usually paint jobs last about 10-15 yrs. keep current paint, its SE right? you have to sand down old paint to bare plastic and use plastic adhesion promoter, primer and paint it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
whitemike10601

Post by whitemike10601 »

thanks, i think i will keep the raspberry color
vAnDaL_Z3rO

Post by vAnDaL_Z3rO »

oh man..my paint is going to hell...got chips showing the metal, faded dull paint on top of mirrors, small rust spots, hmm whatelse..bubbles...
these imperfections arnt really noticable unless you stand about 6 feet from the car. but my laguna blue is still B!itch!n
93 MAZDA MX-3 GS
-1.8L V6
-Underbody Neon Kit (soon to be white)
-Altezzas
-Indiglo gauges (blue)
-DRIFT KIT
-Blue NX racing seats......covers....
Pics here http://members.cardomain.com/vandal_z3ro
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

I vaguely recall that when Mazda painted MX-3s, they decided to preimer/paint together before "cooking" it on (instead of individually) to save (x)?

Or, the story goes something along those lines...(someone else would have fill in the blanks)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Sand it all off if it doesn't look adhered properly. For plastic, you'll need to spray it with plastic adhesion promoter, then when that tacks (10 minutes) spray a layer of primer over that. Then, you'll be ready for your paint job.
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

yeah whatever you do dont just spray with krylon plastic paint and primer.. use the adhesion promoter... krylon lies !!!!!
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm m clear coat is peeling off... bleh..im not gonna mess with it till i get the body kit anyways. Im gonna paint it royal blue or a very strong blue. screw it o.0
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Appearance”