painting carbon fiber

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: painting carbon fiber

Post by monty73741 »

well i didnt want to say how i was painting my hood......... but i guess i will well where the oem hood kinda creases.........i was gonna paint the out side but still leave the center black to show off the CF..........
I really dont want to look like every other car with a CF hood...........i was just suggest an option to people who dont want to look like they have a big ol CF hood..........OH also i dont like silver hood pins ...so i was gonna paint em black or find black ones...........<p>any comments on that
jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

Valid points Visual, I guess I was thinking more about things like someone accidentally dropping something on it, or some drunk idiot jumping on it or some such impact/pressure. Maybe the CF could save you having to get a whole new fiberglass hood. Other than that,I don't realy see fiberglass hood group buys, and I only know of FX Designs making them. Cost of shipping from Canadaian based FX makes US CF hood manufacturers just as affordable and FX doesn't make an OE style hood which some people might prefer.<p>Silkwyrm
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by VizualXTC:
<p>No offence but I fail to see where the strength of the hood would be of any effect. If the hood flies up, It's gunna break steel, fiberglass, or carbon fiber. It provides no stiffening to the chassis because it is attached using hinges. .<p>[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]<hr></blockquote>
My hood didnt break when it flew up. The fiberglass underneath did.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

My steel hood is very thin and weak, it bends and flexes when I use the prop rod to keep it open, it no longer fits properly at the front near the head lamps because of th bending, I have noticed this on other MX-3's, I think a CF hood would solve this problem, as well it is stronger and a little lighter than FG, I think it makes sense to buy a stock looking CF hood and paint it just to solve this stupid flexing hood problem that makes the front of my car look like the bumper was put on crooked.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “Appearance”