10+ yrs. preventative maint.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
dPmunky

10+ yrs. preventative maint.

Post by dPmunky »

well im past the 10 year mark w/my mx-3 (93 gs) and i was about to order the klze for "the big swap" and i started thinking it was probably not worth adding the engine and my other upgrades (air intake, port & polish, racing clutch, lightened flywheel, thermal spacers... basically any and everything but forced air) until i do some preventative maintenance. i've got 3k saved for a rainy day so...i was wondering if you guys had any ideas of stuff that should be replaced, if not because its broke, but because its getting old and it may in the future. ... any ideas?
"the comma is the weakest of all operators, even the equals, EVEN THE EQUALS! bullies the comma"
--claude comair
food for thought
Andrew_Pakula

Re: 10+ yrs. preventative maint.

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

If there is any rust on the car anywhere then you should probably take care of that first because it will only get worse.<p>My car will be 10 next year and the body is remarkably in great condition except for a tiny bit of rush forming under the rear wheel well, I will take care of that in the spring when I get my hood and doors repainted.
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Awesome, another person from IN! I'm from Centerville, IN.....anywho as far as your question goes i'm not sure what you should replace or keep an eye out for. If anything I'd mainly be checking for rust (especially within the wheel bays, or even a new exhaust system. I have a 94MX-3 that i bought back in June, and had to have a good majority of the brake system replaced. E-brake froze and had a caliper dragging. I mean if your replacing the engine and what not I think you have a lot of it covered as far as taking preventative tasks to keeping it up and running.
I am the MadHatter.
dPmunky

Post by dPmunky »

cool, i have no idea where centerville is but cool none the less...there isnt much of any rust at all...i'll have to do a full inspection but its in pretty good cond. the only thing wrong is the plastic parts (bumper, mirrors, etc) and the metal parts are 2 shades of red...my g/f says you cant really tell, but i can, and it bugs me but oh well, thanks for the feedback
"the comma is the weakest of all operators, even the equals, EVEN THE EQUALS! bullies the comma"
--claude comair
food for thought
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Yeah i have a side panel inside my car that is busted, I think the previous owner tried replacing the stock tape deck with a cdplayer or something at one point in time and cracked the side. Also some joker used a buffing compound on the side door mirrors so now the red looks even more faded (I almost bet it was the used car dealership where I bought the car from), hence why i need a paint job, Metallic Black all the way :D <p>btw...Centerville is right next to Richmond, basically if your in Indianapolis take 70 or US40 east to the Ohio border you'll run right through Centerville
I am the MadHatter.
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

MX-3's in Indiana? HEll YA!!! Im from fishers. Its about 20 min. north of Indy. We should all meet up. I've been hoping I would one day find some Indy people!<p>Later,
Dominic
RIP 95 rs
Taras

Post by Taras »

Calipers and Struts.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

true, i made the swap and i wished i had changed the struts and brake system..
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
dancake

Post by dancake »

The previous owner of my car had a wheel bearing seize up and spin inside the hub. This wrecked the hub and also destroyed the stub shaft. I would definately replace those as a matter of course. Mind you, if you have the money for a turbo or nos go for that and **** everything else!! Demontweeks.co.uk do a nice 25hp hit for £500 which is uprateable to 100hp so say. They also do electronic mappers to make it all more controlable. Do you know anyone with a nitrous kit on a V6 ?
MX-3 1.8 V6, 120000 miles. Aqua green metallic.My car domain page is here. http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=395842&page=2

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”