swaping tranx ???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
newflow

swaping tranx ???

Post by newflow »

hey guys, are there any advantages or disadvantages in switch your mx3 tranx for a mx6, probe, millenia tranx?. I am about to make a desicion and need your sea of knowledge.
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
bmwm3guy

Re: swaping tranx ???

Post by bmwm3guy »

whats a tranx?
newflow

Post by newflow »

what in hell was I thinking....
I meant to say tranny
Compact Gladiator

vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

From what I understand is that the mx-6 tranny has a higher 5th gear and thus better gas milleage. But if you are swamping the klze tranny then the tranny could have LSD which would help out in accelerating around a corner since both tires would grip rather than the inside tire spinning.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

It also depends on if you have the auto or manual tranny. The Millenium is a auto and would be better for the swap if you have an auto because likely the engine you are putting in would be the millenium engine. also if you do this look for the kl62 ecu which is made for the tranny and engine. nice web page
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Umm, you'd be better getting a KL31 or KL36 ECU with a JE50 VAF (the stock MX3 V6 VAF) on a ZE with a milennia Intake Manifold.

The MX6 and 626 transmissions have a lower final drive ratio giving less accelleration through all gears. It is very slight (in fifth gear it is roughly 400 RPM lower than an MX3 tranny at a given speed), but still very quick. You have better gas milage with a MX6 or 626 tranny. I have one and it works perfectly.

It really comes down to what you do more of. If you do lots of highway, go MX6/626 tranny and save some gas.

<small>[ December 14, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: bmwm3guy ]</small>
newflow

Post by newflow »

thank you griz for the comes on my page and on the post. Thanks everyone as well.

Can any one tell anything about the ford probe 94 tranny. Thats the one on my list?
Compact Gladiator

IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Griz:
It also depends on if you have the auto or manual tranny. The Millenium is a auto and would be better for the swap if you have an auto because likely the engine you are putting in would be the millenium engine. also if you do this look for the kl62 ecu which is made for the tranny and engine.
I think not. The KL62 ECU will work with a '96-on Probe which is OBDII, because that has the 4 connector harness. To use it in an MX-3 would require an extensive harness modification. You would also need to fit the Millenia tranny, to be compatible with the tranny controller, which is built into the KL62.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”