KLZE ECU's

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
vozaday2000

KLZE ECU's

Post by vozaday2000 »

OK, this is my first post and I have been reading information on this site for about 4 months now. I am slightly confused about what ecu to use. I know in one of the posts you guys are debating about using the kl31, kl36 or the kl62, etc. I was wondering what is the best combination for the KLZE with the kl01 cams. If I should buy a 2.5 de vaf or ecu of the klze ecu or what combination should I use. I do not really want to use a klze ecu because of the governor but I was wondering if the other ecu's would let the klze rev to it's 8 grand. Or how can I modify this. I understand that I would have to use a chip but what kind would let me do this. Please help
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

goldsberry1

Re: KLZE ECU's

Post by goldsberry1 »

i know i have the de ecu & vaf i have hit the 8k mark several times. be careful when doing so i blew my timeing belt once at 8k rpm. luckly this is a non interface engine and there wasnt any damage. use a full msd ignition with the 3055 mod an d it should bypass the rev limiter. i know mine doent have on or i would have hit it by now.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

best ecu to use will be the klze ecu's (kl36 and kl31) nobody has try the conversion of the kl62 ecu..

why the **** are you guys reving your engine to 8k ?? You guys are playing with fire for a breaking retainer and you're loosing a lot of power.. our peak hp is at 6500 anyways..why are you reving over that?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i did i by accident when i broke the timeing belt. just wasnt paying attention in the burnout box. i think other than that i let off about 7k.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

There is not an ecu out there that doesn't have a rev limiter. LKike someone esle said you shouldn't be revving your engine that high anyway. The only time to go above 6500 is when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The jump is to large between the gears is to large so you fall out of the power band. I shift at 7k-7.2k from 1st to 2nd, the rest 6500.

The limiter on the KL31 & KL36 is on the speed. Thats limited to ~118mph. With the clip of one wire you can disable it.

Your options are the kl31 & the kl36. I have heard that the KL36 is not as aggresive as the KL31. I don't know that I believe it. If you use the curved neck intake manifold no matter which one you use the vris points will be off slightly. With the straight neck manifold they should be ok. You can manually adjust the vris points with an msd window switch.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

I was just wondering because on a japanese car catalog it said that the engine's redline is 8k. But what vaf should I use. Would it be better to use a 2.5l de one or my mx-3 mass air flow.

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

if you are using a ze ecu you will need to use your stock je-50 vaf. If you are using your stock ecu, you can use a de vaf.
The best set up is ze ecu and je-50 vaf.
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

K thanks. Oh and are those outlaw engineering thermoblok spacers any good. I was just wondering if they help solve the problem with loosing power when the engine warms up

vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

oh ya and I have not reved my car that high it is just that i read that the readline is that high. If you want the site that shows all the japanese cars and the specs just search japanese car catalog and it says that the millenia red line is 8k

babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

no the redline is at 7k on any K series engine IIRC.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

redline and rev limiter are 2 different things
IIRC the rev limiter is set at around 8200 and redline 7000
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

Ok i did not realize that, thanks. By the way Blue I love the work on the heads. Have you figured out how much the heads can be shaved on the klze. I do not know if that ties into your work or not.

babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

no I haven't figured that out. I don't want to take much material off..this will make my CR higher and I don't want that..I didn't bought 8.7CR pistons for nothing :) I just want to have a straight surface to mate with the block so that's why I want to shave to least as possible
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”