Benefits of strait neck ZE manifold

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Benefits of strait neck ZE manifold

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Ian: i'm pretty sure the correct ecu for the curve neck ze is a kl62 ecu wich uses a maf system..

I also think the each ecu goes with each intake and not cams..sure cams will do a little difference but not like the length of the path in the manifold..

Also Mike Selli had dyno both and the straight came out the same midrange power but the straight made a little more ponies on the end
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
Ian: i'm pretty sure the correct ecu for the curve neck ze is a kl62 ecu wich uses a maf system..
You're right, I'd forgotten about that - we had a discussion a few weeks ago. Wasn't KL62 for the OBDII Millenia?

Even so, it's extra work to change the wiring for the MAF, and the MTX means it throws codes because it can't see the ATX components.
Also Mike Selli had dyno both and the straight came out the same midrange power but the straight made a little more ponies on the end
So it looks like the best KLZE fit is the straight neck with the KL31 or KL36 ECU. But if you have a curved neck IM, either put up with the VRIS points being off, or change to Millenia ECU and MAF, and do the re-wiring :(

<small>[ October 03, 2004, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

KL62 ECUs are for autos only.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

why is that Morgan..the kl36 was for auto too but works with mtx..why wouldn't it be the smae with the kl62
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

If you read this thread from Probetalk you'll see that the KL62 has worked with a MTX, but there are issues with the ECU putting out fault codes because it can't see the ATX. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with research.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Have fun getting it to work correctly. First do a MAF conversion, then figure out how to fool the ECU into stopping the error codes - doesn't look like anybody has done quite enough research for that yet.. ;)

A MAF conversion would allow you to use an SAFC though, wouldn't it?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

It also looks like you SOL for the MAF if you don't have a 96-97 with OBD2...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mdavis:
It also looks like you SOL for the MAF if you don't have a 96-97 with OBD2...
If you have a 92-95, I think you would try to get the MAF and ECU for that age-range JDM Millenia/Eunos 800 - but not easy. I believe the ECU harness connectors on the JDM changed to the OBDII scheme when OBDII came in, even though the JDM didn't adopt it.

The other factor is that the KL OBDII ECUs incorporate the ATX controller - it is no longer separate.

Btw, the MX-3 OBDII harness pinouts scheme is totally different to the KL-engined cars, so you have a 99% wiring change to fit a KL62 to a late model MX-3. (The same is true for fitting a KL62 to an OBDI MX-3)

It's so damned difficult it has a dreadful fascination - I'd love to achieve it, but all that hassle.....

<small>[ October 04, 2004, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

The kl62 won't work with an obd1 becourse it has very different connectors. However in an obd2 it will fit without any trouble, but you do need to fix the atm-mtx problem and swap and wire in a maf to replace your vaf. I have a kl62 ecu lying around here and it has the same connectors as the obd2 mx-3

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Bastian:
The kl62 won't work with an obd1 becourse it has very different connectors. However in an obd2 it will fit without any trouble, but you do need to fix the atm-mtx problem and swap and wire in a maf to replace your vaf. I have a kl62 ecu lying around here and it has the same connectors as the obd2 mx-3

Bastian
Absolutely not. The connectors are the same, but the connections on the pins are 99% different. I have that very rare thing, the Wiring Manual for the '96 MX-3, and I have compared it to the OBDII KL ECU connections (as shown in the Mitchell CDROM Manual).

The only pin connection that is the same is the Coolant Fan Relay No 2&3 and that only applies to ATX. ALL the other pins are different.

<small>[ October 05, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

To get around the VRIS points being off would it be possible to just swap strait neck VRIS to a Curve Neck? And how do u know that an ECU is from an MX-6 or a Mellenia?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Eggo:
To get around the VRIS points being off would it be possible to just swap strait neck VRIS to a Curve Neck? And how do u know that an ECU is from an MX-6 or a Mellenia?
Not quite sure what swap you're suggesting? The VRIS points are built into the ECU. Starting with a particular IM, the only way to get the right VRIS points, without some aftermarket VRIS controller, is to fit the ECU which goes with that IM. Or starting with the ECU, fit the right IM.

KL31 = MTX straight neck ZE
KL36 = ATX straight neck ZE but will work with MTX
???? = Millenia ZE before 1996 (3 connector ECU - will plug into pre '96 MX-3)
KL62 = Millenia ZE post '95 - will not work with MX-3 harness without extensive rewiring.

<small>[ October 07, 2004, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Originally posted by IanL:
]Not quite sure what swap you're suggesting?
KL31 = MTX straight neck ZE
KL36 = ATX straight neck ZE but will work with MTX
???? = Millenia ZE before 1996 (3 connector ECU - will plug into pre '96 MX-3)
KL62 = Millenia ZE post '95 - will not work with MX-3 harness without extensive rewiring.
The swap I'm talking about is the VRIS selonoids on the actual mani (there are 2 of them right?) Switch the selonoids from the strait neck to the curve one would that work?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Eggo:
The swap I'm talking about is the VRIS selonoids on the actual mani (there are 2 of them right?) Switch the selonoids from the strait neck to the curve one would that work?
It would change nothing. The solenoids are very likely identical. As are the valves. The VRIS is controlled by the ECU - the solenoids just operate when the ECU tells them to.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”