engine codes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bmwm3guy

Re: engine codes

Post by bmwm3guy »

Are you kidding me?? Sell that on an MX6 board.. MX6ers are alway looking for Straight neck IM's. They might even trade you a straightneck for a curveneck. Try http://www.probetalk.com or any other MX-6/Probe forum

<small>[ September 13, 2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: bmwm3guy ]</small>
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

Oke, let me explain. First the curved intake does seem to flow better, but since the eunos engines don't have the kl31 cams (atleast I haven't seen one) so the engines with the ms8 intake which will most likely have the kl31 cams will have abit more power, 4/5hp.

To get the longneck intake manifold to fit you should do three things (you could come away with only adjusting the throtlebody but if you wanto do it right do all three)

1. Lift the rear engine mount by using some steel rings, this is very easy, get under the car, put them on the bolts and mount everything back.

2. Fill your engine mounts with some rubber pieces to make them more solid, very easy and cheap.

3. The hardest part, adjust the throtle linkage on the throtlebody. When you try to fit it without adjusting it the linkage will hit the main brake cilinder when your accelerating, which is something you absolutly don't want. We shortend the linkage changed the springs and welded it together. Once I'll get my own computer back to working I'll post some pics. You just have to make it shorter so it won't hit the brake cilinder.

After the adjustments you'll need a different airintake, but that's isn't so hard together with the battery swap to the back.

I have a picture online from one of the cars we swaped right after the swap, with the ms8 neck installed, you can't see the throtlelinkage on that pic. but it will give you an idea.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Originally posted by Bastian:
2. Fill your engine mounts with some rubber pieces to make them more solid, very easy and cheap.
Or take your time and do it right by filling them with Urethane. Cheap as well, but more time consuming. Its more of a weekend job.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
Are you kidding me?? Sell that on an MX6 board.. MX6ers are alway looking for Straight neck IM's. They might even trade you a straightneck for a curveneck. Try http://www.probetalk.com or any other MX-6/Probe forum
I didn't think the straight neck KF-ze IM would flow any better the klde so i woundn't figure they would be interested in it. I was sure i read somewhre that both of them are pretty equal.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
apparently the curved neck delivers more power anyways so why bother wasting time installing the long neck one?
mmm I heard the opposite...Mike selli dynoed both and the straight had more power...roughly around 3-4hp
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
I didn't think the straight neck KF-ze IM would flow any better the klde so i woundn't figure they would be interested in it. I was sure i read somewhre that both of them are pretty equal.
Ohhh sorry i thought you meant the KLZE straightneck. I stand corrected.
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

The klze with the straight neck has a few more hp because of the cams, the intake manifold flows abit less than the curved one. As for filling the engine mounts with urethane, obviously that would be better, but since pieces of rubber work excellent why do the extra effort and end up with almost the same. You could also buy some solid engine mounts, but personaly I think those are just an easy expensive option.
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

this topic is getting deeper and deeper,

I've also got some info for people who plan on doing an obd2 klze swap, we did one obd2 swap (just wanted that one on the list) I did took some time but that thing is fast, faster than the normal stock klze. It only needs afew extra's like a fpr well tuned and a different vaf. We could have rewired it to obd1 but that would have been out of budget, another option was to use the kl62 jdm ecu and wire a maf sensor, still that option is too unreliable, there's just almost no informatie and I couldn't use a customers car to try everything out for weeks and weeks.

Bastian
Sick_Mx3

Post by Sick_Mx3 »

so from what I have gathered here is
get the KL31-101 motor with the streight neck
because its got the KL31 cams which produces more power
and than swap the streight neck intake to a millenia curved intake which fits perfectly into the engine bay with no problems and adds even an addition of power
makes sense to me and I think I will try to attempt that
Sick_Mx3

Post by Sick_Mx3 »

and another thing is I will be using the 1.8L tranny
should I swap the flywheel of the 1.8 motor and use the 1.8 clutch
or are all the part numbers the same and interchangable
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Use the 1.8 tranny and flywheel. You gonna want an aftermarket clutch like act or clutchmasters or something of that sort as the stock clutch won't hold up. Search on ebay or street-import.com for clutches.

<small>[ September 13, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Bastian:
...I've also got some info for people who plan on doing an obd2 klze swap, we did one obd2 swap (just wanted that one on the list) I did took some time but that thing is fast, faster than the normal stock klze. It only needs afew extra's like a fpr well tuned and a different vaf.
As TsiMiata points out in the post on Fuel Injectors here an adjustable fpr has the same effect over the whole controlled range. Are you saying you can get correct mixture over the whole range using an afpr with that KLZE and K8 ECU?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Sick_Mx3

Post by Sick_Mx3 »

ok thanks guys
I will post updates when I get this done
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

A fpr will raise the fueldelivery overall, but since the klze engines uses a slightly higher fuel pressure we just raised it. A klze ecu will be better, but since this guy is getting the sames times as me it should have enough power.

Bastian
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
apparently the curved neck delivers more power anyways so why bother wasting time installing the long neck one?
mmm I heard the opposite...Mike selli dynoed both and the straight had more power...roughly around 3-4hp
He also claims his reground KL31 camshafts give you 15whp gains...he's full of ****. read the "Dyno database" on ProbeTalk, you'll see a bunch of people posting "before mikeseli cams" and "after mikeseli cams" and no one posted over a 3whp gain with his camshafts.

I've read numerous other accounts from other PT members about the curved neck flowing better, including jeff jeske and omaha95pgt among others.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”