Dilly of a problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bmwm3guy

Dilly of a problem

Post by bmwm3guy »

Ok, one more problem to maker this swap even more fun.

Now, I have spark, I checked my disty and each wire is giving spark.

The plugs are wet (gas) so I am geting gas to the pistons.

Now logically all thats left is that Im missing air, or that the timing is off. Whwen i installed the timing belt i checked the notches like 10 times and got a few second opinions and we all thing that the timing belt is dead-on.

Now when i removed my CAI to see whats going on with my intake when i try and start it.. i noticed that air is shooting out of the intake manifold instead of it inducting air.

Also it seems to backdfire every couple of cycles but instead of through the exhaust, it pops my intake off and it smells like exhaust from my intake. But now it mixes between backfiring in the intake and the exhaust... VERY CONFUSING :(

All of the sparkplug wires are on right on the disty.. im not quite that stupid :p

Im really stuck for ideas here.
lakersfan1

Re: Dilly of a problem

Post by lakersfan1 »

Maybe your crank is 180 degrees out of phase. Sounds plausible. It takes two rotations of the crank to each cam rotation, so even tough the marks may be right on the crank, the crank can still be wrong.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

so i gotta take off the timing belt, and rotate the crank one turn? **** thats not gonna be easy now that the engine is in the car =//
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
so i gotta take off the timing belt, and rotate the crank one turn? **** thats not gonna be easy now that the engine is in the car =//
Before you go through all that, you can pull the #1 plug and stick a long dowel rod or seomthing like that into the whole and rotate the crank until the dowel rod is pushed up to its farthest point. Then see if the crank mark aligns, or if the mark is now on the bottom of the engine. If it's off, THEN you'll need to pull all the accesory belts and timing covers, etc to release the tensioner tension and redo the timing again.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Alright, so now Im thinking... All of the Markers for the timing are aligned. So, then everythign should be fine.. right? I am so at a loss as to what to do. This is a rough drawing of where the timing marks are.. could someone confirm with me that Im not going crazy and that I did this right?

:(
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Before you go through all that, you can pull the #1 plug and stick a long dowel rod or seomthing like that into the whole and rotate the crank until the dowel rod is pushed up to its farthest point. Then see if the crank mark aligns, or if the mark is now on the bottom of the engine. If it's off, THEN you'll need to pull all the accesory belts and timing covers, etc to release the tensioner tension and redo the timing again.
BTW Ill try that tonight.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

try makeing sure your plug wires are wired right. that could be a problem too.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

All of the sparkplug wires are on right on the disty.. im not quite that stupid :p
hehe thanks anyways but yeah, Ive checked that seriously about 10 times now. I tend to doubt myself. I was told by a friend to try someone elses Disty sometime. Ill try and get in touch with someone if they wanna help me double check my stupid mistake I probably made. Cough cough babybluemx3 cough :p
mx-3xplosiv31

Post by mx-3xplosiv31 »

it is without a doubt your timing. when the piston is on the second upswing to push the exhaust gases out, the exhaust valves should open, sending the gas out the tailpipe. Instead of this, your intake valves are opening, which is why you are getting the popping and backfire from your TB. when you do timing, you have to do more than just line up the marks, you have to make sure your #1 piston is at TDC first, then line up the marks from there. This will solve your problem.

Aaron

p.s. I had this happen to me when I timed a 2.0 SOHC Pontiac Sunbird, so I know firsthand, lol.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

yea definatley your timing i had that happen (exhaust gas out intake) when me and a friend rebuilt his 1.6 dohc integra
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by aaron bales:
it is without a doubt your timing. when the piston is on the second upswing to push the exhaust gases out, the exhaust valves should open, sending the gas out the tailpipe. Instead of this, your intake valves are opening, which is why you are getting the popping and backfire from your TB. when you do timing, you have to do more than just line up the marks, you have to make sure your #1 piston is at TDC first, then line up the marks from there. This will solve your problem.
I don't want to assert that is wrong (in case it isn't :) ); but I am failing to understand. If the mark on the crankshaft sprocket is opposite the mark on the oil pump housing, the #1 piston has got to be at TDC - where else can it be? What determines whether it is a compression or an exhaust stroke is the position of the camshaft for that cylinder, because the camshafts rotate once for a complete 4 stroke cycle, so they move the valves through the complete cycle every camshaft revolution, and the ignition is camshaft-driven too. So if the camshafts are also positioned correctly opposite their marks, surely everything has to be correct?

I just don't follow how you can have the wrong valves opening at any time, unless one or both camshafts is/are lined up 180 deg out of position.

<small>[ September 15, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

if all thats lined up one of the camshafts have to be out of position, was there any timing marks ever set? other than the factory ones?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Well, if the camshaft sprockets were correctly aligned when the belt was applied, what's left? Broken camshaft?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I will check tomorrow morning to see if the #1 piston is at TDC when the mark is aligned on the Crankshaft. I'll also double check the timing marks on the camshafts. Thank you so much guys!
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

UPDATE: I brought the engine to a friends garage and he told me that the timing was dead-on :dunno:

<small>[ September 21, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: bmwm3guy ]</small>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”