Second Throttle ?? On top of v6 badge?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Second Throttle ?? On top of v6 badge?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Hey, does anyone know what in the world is that thing thats blocked up by a metal plate? Its exactly on top of the V6 badge on the k8 engine? (1.8) It looks like some sort of throttle fly thats connected to some sort of vacum thing? what is that?? can it be opened to get more air?? or modified? it seems to me an entrance of air of some kind. Im new to this engine but I had never seen this in any other engines. Any ideas?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Re: Second Throttle ?? On top of v6 badge?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Not sure, but would guess it's to get in the there and service the VRIS valves.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
can it be opened to get more air?? or modified? it seems to me an entrance of air of some kind.
Admitting air at that place would be a disaster. It would not have passed through the VAF and would be unmetered - so just like a vacuum leak.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

I took that off mine! WOW, I didn't dyno it but i'm sure I got at LEAST 25-30HP out of it! I have so much more air going into my engine!! LOL, that is part of the VRIS system. Don't touch it if you don't know what it is.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

OK, really it's for the special snowmobile application they use in Hokkaido - it takes a big 2 barrel carburettor, but you have to use a special hybrid VAF and cut a hole in your hood, and you need an extra low-pressure fuel pump from the tank to top up the float chamber..... ;)

Actually it's to access No 2 VRIS Shutter Valve.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”