Sunsengines ZE or not ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Sunsengines ZE or not ZE

Post by Nallboy »

Hey, I just sent the money off for a KL-ZE from sunsengines Friday. They were great to deal with, but Mx3man83 just told me he got a DE from them when he bought the "KL-ZE" with KL-01 cams. I know it's been asked a million times, but what's the easiest way to tell if I really got what I ordered?
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
DavidOS

Re: Sunsengines ZE or not ZE

Post by DavidOS »

do a compression test on the motor.

check engine stamps are correct.

Also check the pistons to see if they are slightly dished or flat... ZE pistons are flat.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Thanks! That was really quick. I just wrote them at Sunsengines and told them to be sure I don't get sent an A-spec KL-03/KL-DE engine. Guess I'll just have to wait. I know the ZE will have KL-01 on the cams (because it's a curved IM). What would the KL-DE's have on them?
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I'm telling you, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!! Their "kl01 klze with a curved neck IM" is a KLO3!!!!!!!!! I know from personal experience. I'm willing to bet money that it is not a curved neck, it is a stubby neck american kl03 IM!!! It will also have egr, and the distributer will have only 6 plug holes on it!!! The rear exhaust manifold will also have a hole in it for the egr tap. Call right now and cancel or change your order. I have dyno proven results that it is not a klze!! It is a kl03 that will put only 134 hp to the wheels! I cannot stress this enough.....I still have a headache over this company, the actualy klze I finally got is burning a quart of oil every thousand miles.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yah get them on the phone say can you do a compression test with you on the phone then read off the stamping in the block and on the heads and on the pistons.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

First of all, stamping on the block will not help. It will say "KL", just like the klze would (since it is in fact a KL engine). To look at the cams, it requires pulling the valve covers off. Good luck getting them to do that, since their engines are stored at different location than their office.

<small>[ May 10, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :2thumbsup: :laugh:

you sent your money...and NOW you want to know how to tell a ZE from a DE? :laugh: :laugh:
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

No, I know how to tell the difference already. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss anything. I posted on here asking people if they had any feedback on these guys and no response.
I wrote them back and they said you had someone else order your engines for you. You said.. well here's the e-mail they sent me:

the person you are talking about had someone else order the engine for him
and they ordered the wrong engine. We still replaced the engine for him and
he was happy with it.
I assure you that you will receive the engine you have ordered and paid for.

FROM,
SUN'S ENGINES

This is great. Do you think I should try to change my order to a straight neck or what? I'm gonna give them another call.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I just got off the phone with Shirley over there and she assured me that I'd get what I paid for. She said she dealt with two or three ppl about your engine and the wrong one was ordered. She also said she sent you a new one and didn't charge for shipping or even get the first motor back. Truth?
:confused2:

She knew her stuff about the engines. They sell the KL-01, KL-31, and the KL-03, and told me the differences between them all. I'll have to wait and see.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

oh yeah, she also said she'd put in a request for them to send the compression test results along with the engine.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Not true, not true, not true...I had someone else PAY for the engines since I did not have a credit card. I was sitting right there on the phone with the people...I ordered them, just using my friends credit card(he was sitting right there as well). I was the one who talked to this wonderful shirley, she ASSURED me that the kl01 "klze" was for the mx-3, and the kl31 was for the probe. Want to know her explanation on why the kl01 was for the mx-3? "It's because it's something to do with the cams.." WTF!!?? WHy would this matter since I told her I had the Jspec ecu along with the je50 vaf??

Well, my friend (whose got a probe)ordered the kl31 and got the long straight neck intake manifold 200 hp klze. I got this lovely kl01 "klze" that looked EXACTLY like the american kl03 and had only 134 whp. CANCEL YOUR ORDER!!! Or at least change it to the "kl31" verison!!
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by Nallboy:
She said she dealt with two or three ppl about your engine and the wrong one was ordered. She also said she sent you a new one and didn't charge for shipping or even get the first motor back. Truth?
:confused2:
Whoa I just caught this part...If she was talking about me when she said she didn't get her first engine back, she couldn't be more scandelous and wrong. There was a huge problem with returning the engine..we had made arrangements that the engine will be out and ready to go on a Friday, and will be shipped back to her when the shipping company comes to deliver the new engine. Well, I had my engine out sitting at the shop ready to be shipped back, and low and behold, her new engine never showed up!! I had my whole weekend planned around putting my engine in!! I needed my car for getting back and forth to work. Supposedly the shipping truck never showed up to the warehouse so I was stuck with an engineless mx-3 for the next week!! When the new engine finally came, they picked up the old one and hauled it back to her.
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Oh and by the way, just to get my point across about these people...the current klze i have now burns 1 quart of oil every thousand miles.
My Cardomain site
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Sounds like some serious crap's going on. Still, as long as I get a ZE I'll be ok. I plan on totally gutting it and replacing all the seals. No burning/leaking.
Anyways, this is the latest e-mail I got from them:

I just talked to the warehouse and they have the klze engine from japan
instock, but it has the straight neck manifold. they are not coming with the
curved neck, but you can use your manifold . it is a direct fit, Or I can
send your money back to you.
let me know what you want to do.

FROM,
SUN'S ENGINES

I was about to call and request the KL-31 straight neck anyway, and I'd kinda wanted the KL-31 cams more anyways, just went with the KL-01 for convenience. So, I'm gonna go ahead and get the straight neck.
What I really think: she was gonna send me the piece of crap probe engine until I checked her on it (thanks, bro).
These people have a great rep on Probetalk, but I figure that's because the Probees don't really ever want the KL-01 anyways. :shrug:
Thanks again, Mx3man83! :2thumbsup:
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Newest one, got it about half an hour ago:

please let me know what you want to do A.S.A.P. AT THE WAREHOUSE THEY SAID
THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS THE CURVED NECK MANIFOLD IS THE KL-03.

WE HAVE THE JDM SPEC KLZE 2.5: ENGINE WITH THE KL-01 ON THE SAMES IT COMES
FROM JAPAN WIHT THE STRAIGHT NECK MANIFOLD. Samke with the klze with the kl
31 on the cams

FROM,
SUN'S ENGINES

uh... don't the KL-01's come only on the curve-necks? And Kl-31's supposed to be in the straight, right? I think these guys don't really know what they're talking about with this. I'll prob. just get the KL-31 straight-neck just so I don't get stuck with the straight neck AND the KL-01 cams. I told her I'll have my reply tomorrow afternoon. Input please...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”