Quaife's LSD Q.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Quaife's LSD Q.

Post by Nallboy »

For those of you who know something about Quaife's LSD:
It comes alone(w/out a tranny), right? How much modding does it take to bolt it up to a 5-speed tranny? Is there a certain type of tranny that I'd have to get to install it correctly? I know about the axle situation that comes with LSD; got that taken care of (I think). Any help out there?
Thanks, guys!(or gals)
-John
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
timpronk

Re: Quaife's LSD Q.

Post by timpronk »

Cant say I know anything about the quaffe.

Here is some info on a Phantom Grip install though, could be some info in there for you?

Phantom Grip
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I think that's Luc St. Pierre's site. He said it sux, so did everyone else I know of. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I want to mess around with it. :2thumbsup:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

quaife = expensive. phantom grip = fake lsd that works when it feels like it

tochigi fugi sangyo = tHe Bl!nG iS iN Ha!r!!

I paid $359 for mine, and another 52 in new bearings, speedo ring and some nuts you need to fit it.

fyi its a 2-way clutch type
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

hmm... never heard of it... Is it a true LSD? Are you the only one you know of who's tried it?Where can I get some more info on it? Thanks for broadening my horizons.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

$400 I can deal with that! A lot better than the $1k+ for the quaffie.

Could you make an FAQ on this LSD with a list of part numbers etc..
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i am in the process of installing it. there are a couple of details about this LSD that make it difficult to fit up, like the speedometer ring and the output shaft. I won't have much time to install it until the end of may so i'll post teh install how-to and the part numbers as I get time.

and yes, it is a true LSD....2-way clutch types are what you find in OEM aplications like the SRT-4, Mazdaspeed Protege, Sentra Spec V, etc.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
i am in the process of installing it. there are a couple of details about this LSD that make it difficult to fit up, like the speedometer ring and the output shaft. I won't have much time to install it until the end of may so i'll post teh install how-to and the part numbers as I get time.

and yes, it is a true LSD....2-way clutch types are what you find in OEM aplications like the SRT-4, Mazdaspeed Protege, Sentra Spec V, etc.
the SRT-4 has a quaffie in it
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

my bad

quaifes are gear types...way more expensive, but not necessarily "better" than clutch-types.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

For a straight line the clutch types are a better LSD. The qauffie will grenade if you get some good wheel hop off the line. The qauffie can sometimes take a bit to make up its mind as to which tire is going to get power from a dead stop. That slows your 60' times. The qauffie I like better for autocrossing. Its just a little easier to drive fast for an idiot like me. In street use I'd rather have the qauffie if money was no object.Since my money tree died from frost this last winter ;) You can't beat a brand new LSD for $400.

My expierences are from my RWD RX-7. I had a clutch LSD in it and then switched to a qauffie type.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:

The qauffie
The qauffie
The qauffie
a qauffie
A Wha??? :confused2:

Q-U-A-I-F-E

:laugh:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Hey your hurtin my feelings ;)

I can add qauFie(I can be trained) to the list of things I constantly spell wrong. magnecor is another one I mess up all the time. I've spelled it- magnacor, magnacore, magnecore

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

dammit, since some ppl are AIMing/emailing me so much about "where you get y0 LSD fo fohundad dolla"...

ITS A MAZDASPEED PROTEGE OEM LSD!! You can get it from your mazda dealer (select dealers) for $550-700 depending on how good a deal you get.

If you have connections to wholesale prices, you can get it for $350-400. Either way, $700 including the parts you need is a good price for a new LSD.

BTW: if you are saying "well i'll just get a quaife since it bolts in", it doesn't. It requires just as much machining and fitment as the MSP one.

also, all mazda quaifes were "bought out" by mazda for some reason. The only place you can get the mazda quaifes are corksport and mazdamotorsports. They are about 1400 from corksport and 1100 from MMS. You should be able to get it from your dealr too, but you'll probably pay retail (about 1600) for it.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Thanks for all the info. Another question: what type of LSD do the engines these places, such as Streetimports.com, sell with their engines have? How do they compare with these aftermarket LSDs?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i honestly have no idea what the JDM MX-6 5-speed tranny LSD is. Its probably a clutch type, 1.5 or 2 way. Only thing about clutch types you need to note is that they DO EVENTUALLY wear out. Their clutches wear over time and need replacing. Apparnetly they should last like 100-150k before any loss in effectiveness should arise due to worn clutches.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”