What year KL03 /KLDE engine for 93 GS?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eno

What year KL03 /KLDE engine for 93 GS?

Post by eno »

The newer the better of course, but is there restricitons on later year models? I am considering a DE due to the emmision and fuel ecnomy. Thanks.
mx3man83

Re: What year KL03 /KLDE engine for 93 GS?

Post by mx3man83 »

Go ZE. You will pay the same amount and your fuel economy will be just about the same. I can go for about 2 weeks on a full tank of gas with my KLZE. I do about 40 minutes of driving every day, even more on the weekends. I passed emissions with no problem at all with a 2.5 ecu and vaf. If you do choose to go DE, just make sure it's OBDI. I'm not totally positive of the years, but I believe they switched to OBDII in 96.

<small>[ December 19, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
FuzzyMD

Post by FuzzyMD »

MX-6
93-95 OBD1
96+ OBD2
pelado

Post by pelado »

I'll be swapping a 2002 Millenia engine into mine. Of course, I'll be running all of the older electronics/sensors.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
eno

Post by eno »

IS a 2002 Millenia engine OBDII? What's the benifits and the difficulties to go with Millenia?
But my understanding is that OBD issue is a Car problem instead of an engine problem. Thus newer car cannot use oder engine but oder car (OBDI) can use newer engine(OBDII). Any expert there could clarify me for this?
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

You're gonna have to change your ECU wiring, which is a pain in the *** . Just get an older engine or a ZE so you don't have to deal with all of it...unless you're getting it for free or something.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

What's been said on this board previously is that the only differences are ECU, harness and the number of O2 sensors. The engines themselves are not OBD1 or OBD2, they are just engines.

So by my reading, if you want to fit a 2002 KLDE from a Millenia, you will need an OBD1 ECU from a MTX KLDE car, i.e. MX-6, V6 Probe or V6 626. Keep your K8 exhaust manifolds and harness.

<small>[ December 28, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
pelado

Post by pelado »

Originally posted by eno:
IS a 2002 Millenia engine OBDII? What's the benifits and the difficulties to go with Millenia?
But my understanding is that OBD issue is a Car problem instead of an engine problem. Thus newer car cannot use oder engine but oder car (OBDI) can use newer engine(OBDII). Any expert there could clarify me for this?
OBDII applies to the ECU and electrical system. If I keep my electronics, then I won't have to worry about OBDII compatibility problems since I won't be using any OBDII components (I'll swap all of the older sensors over). The engine is mechanical thus it is not "OBDII".

A Millenia engine has the same intake and heads as a KLZE but with milder cams than the ZE KL31 type. Later model Millenias also have solid cam followers and thus do not have the problems associated with HLAs.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”