Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
monstar-mx-3

Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel question

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

Hello,<p>I;'m going to be upgrading my clutch to an ACT and i'm thinking about getting a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. it is suppose to be 9Ibs. what are people option on the flywheel? should I get it or not....they ares asking $285 for it. :shrug:
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Re: Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel question

Post by mx3TT »

If I had the money I would personally buy it. It is suppose to help acceleration out a lot. I say go for it.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Well its a seven pound loss on your flywheel which means more freed up hp, how fast do you want to spend :D ???
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

Depends... personally I would get ur current flywheel shaved down to around 9~12 lbs. Save urself some money and shipping cost. 285US is abit for a AM Flywheel.
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I was going to get one, but i've heard of drivability issues with lightened flywheels that kinda soured my taste for one. <p>Apparently, the reason manufacturers make flywheels heavier is so the car is "easier" to drive in traffic. Heavier flywheels have more rotational mass, once they are up to speed, its harder for them to slow down quickly. <p>This is why a lightened flywheel is good for acceleration. They simply spin up to speed faster, which increases acceleration, they don't increase HP at all.<p>For example...on most stock cars (especially some older domestic 5-speed cars), if you are in 2nd gear, and you are going about 25mph, and let off the gas while its in gear, your car will gradually lose speed by itself right?<p>If you cahnge your flywheel to one that is 1/2 the stock weight, your car will slow down MUCH FASTER when you let off the gas. This not only wears the clutch out quicker, it also becomes a PITA to drive in city traffic. you have to feather the pedal to "gradually" slow down as compared to the clutch almost acting like a brake every time you let off the gas.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

Thanks guy. How much do you think it would cost so shave OEM Flywheel to 9-Ibs. Has anyone done this?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

You should only be able to get the stock FW to 12-13lbs safely.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Post by Guest »

So from all the info and experience, a Shaved FW is a better option if your looking for perforamce and driviabtity at the same time!?
xxtavixx

Post by xxtavixx »

Shave your flywheel, it will be cheaper. And you wont notice much difference at all. Even then, you could get one from napaautomotive.com so you dont have any down time, its 49 with a 49 core charge...<p>-Andrew
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Shave your flywheel and have it blow up. This has happened to more than a few people.<p>I had a fidanza in my V-6 MX-6 it is was a great purchase. Never regretted it for a second. Throttle response was greatly improved, acceleration in 1st and 2nd was improved. I had no trouble in traffic or starting off. I taught my girlfriend how to drive stick with that flywheel in, so how har dcould it have been to use?
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Well personally I don't like it, my rev's drop off way to fast, if I push in the clutch with the rpms at about 3000rpms the needle comes all the way down and bounces off the needle and comes back up to 1000rpms. It makes the car much harder to pull out and sometimes when I go around a bend it stalls out. These are just my experiences, the majority of people with this FW really like it.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I think the fly wheel is a great price...i dont have to worry about down time to get one shaved...and i have heard stories too about the shaved flywheel cracking. How is it for everyday use?
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zoso124:
Well personally I don't like it, my rev's drop off way to fast, if I push in the clutch with the rpms at about 3000rpms the needle comes all the way down and bounces off the needle and comes back up to 1000rpms. It makes the car much harder to pull out and sometimes when I go around a bend it stalls out. These are just my experiences, the majority of people with this FW really like it.<hr></blockquote><p>How is the daily drive on it?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

You dininitly can't shave your stock flywheel down to 9lbs. Babyblue had a 13.5 lbs flywheel break after 4 months with an ACT clutch. If you have a Clutchmasters clutch this will happen even faster because the pressure plate is even stronger than the act. These things are engineered just like rotors for heat dissapation as well... Spend the extra money and get one that's actually engineered..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
thebox

Post by thebox »

i love the fidanza flywheel. if you have money, buy it for sure. i wouldn't risk a shaved flywheel. also, this doesn't ruin the drivability of the car. i find my car just as easy to drive with the CM stage 2R + fidanza flywheel as it was with stock clutch and flywheel. i don't think it really changes drivability that much... i think the people who complain about it are REALLY picky and maybe shouldn't drive a performance car. :shrug:
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”