strange idle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
endocyc

strange idle

Post by endocyc »

Hey this is really wierd. 92GS standard. at a warm idle the engine will rev once a gear is selected, once the stick is back in the nuetral position the idle drops back to norm' rev variation as high as 1300rpm.
pickinganame

Re: strange idle

Post by pickinganame »

okay so whats your problem its supposed to jump low when you take it out of gear but if you revs are high its you idle air control or you might want to cheke you egr if it revs like crazy> :shrug:
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

OK I dont think you understand, Im driving a standard and the idle shouldnt be affected by gear selection aslong as the clutch is pressed. With my clutch in the idle will rise apon gear selection, it should stay consistant.
Jon_Carnie

Post by Jon_Carnie »

My idle is affected by many things, ie. if i turn the steering wheel back and forward, push the brake pedal, push the clutch...i'm not sure if our cars have it or not but it may be from a vacuum assist? i know that the vehicles i work on have vacume assisted brake boosters...
pelado

Post by pelado »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by endocyc:
OK I dont think you understand, Im driving a standard and the idle shouldnt be affected by gear selection aslong as the clutch is pressed. With my clutch in the idle will rise apon gear selection, it should stay consistant.<hr></blockquote><p>Why should it stay consistent?<p>The PCME controls the Idle Air Valve and is detecting that a load is about to be placed on the engine when you put it in gear, therefore it will increase air to the engine by opening the Idle Air Valve.<p>Spend a little time in the online shop manual.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

OK guys, All Im doing is sitting still at an idle and placing the transmission in gear, Im not moving the car and Im not doing anything to activate a change in the idle speed.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I don't think you're understanding anyone...its supposed to change<p>
don't worry about it its only about 450 rpm and your car wont blow up

Post by Guest »

ok I know it may sound silly but check your coolant or cooling fluid or water whatever you use to cool down the engine mine did that idle think when shiftin gears untill i put in almost 3L of fluid.....might work for you......
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Here is the thread I was looking for. Anyway I am having this problem also, but looks like we need more data on this issue. Since this is a relatively old thread I was wondering if anyone has new data to update why this happens on an otherwise good running engine?

I bought my car new and I first started to experience this idle increase issue after about the 4th year of ownership. It usually jumps about 200-300 RPM as if when the AC is turned on.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

Mine does it also... It used to go from 750 in neutral to 1000ish in 1st but now goes from random (750-1100) to even more random (1100-1500) depending on the weather (started the randomness right after the clutch swap... go figure). Our cars do this.
You're at a stoplight, in neutral, clutch in or out doesn't matter. You push clutch in, idle stays the same. You put it in gear, and the idle goes up a little bit. That's just how it is.
-Eric
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Mine did the exact thing but as soon as i change my ECU it stopped so I would love to tell you exactly what caused it but I can't.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”