HELP!!! Loss of Power After Long Drive.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Quazi5

HELP!!! Loss of Power After Long Drive.

Post by Quazi5 »

Ok, Here's the scoop. I took my car on an incredably long driving "escapade" I guess you could say. I was on the interstate most of the time. I drove 2 round trips plus some city driving from Savannah to Atlanta. For those of you who don't know the distance or don't have a map it's about 300 miles one way. After my "escapade", I was driving to work and noticed at lights my idle is about 5-600 or less but just enough to stay running and when I press the gas it hesitates, almost dies and then catches up to me. Driving wise it has a considerable loss in power which I can't stand cause my acceleration is so bad some granny beat me in her little pinto yesterday. Anyway... I wanted to ask here first before I started to the shops and elsewhere because I trust the info here to be of sound judgement and personal experiance. Any feedback would be great. Thanks :( :eek: <P>Blake (aka Gibbo)
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
mr.hunt

Re: HELP!!! Loss of Power After Long Drive.

Post by mr.hunt »

Hey man the first thing that comes to mind is lack of air to the engine. don't know what modes you have but if your stock check the intake out and well if your not check it anyways. Second what about cabon build up in your intakes or on your o2 sensors you might have a problem there since you put alot of miles on you just might need to get a feul system flush or purged to clean that up. maybe some first things to look at then if that doesn't help let us all know and we might have other Ideas. Peace <P><BR>Mike
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Sounds like the beginnings of Distributor failure.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Post by Guest »

man, it might be a problem with the TPS(throttle position sensor) switch, its a sensor that tells your engine where the throttle is at. the switch was fucked on my car and it would sometimes idle so low when i started it that it would just shut off or it would idle really low when i wasnt pushing on the gas say at red lights and it would stutter and then come back up again, its a cheap fix though so it shouldnt be too bad if that is it.
joshuabray

Post by joshuabray »

I had the same problem with the power loss until one say i noticed a small hole in the intake tube coming off the throttle body. Got a new one and everything works fine now.
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Intake tube, bro... after installing a new clutch in my car, the front motor mount ripped. The first time I took off with a ripped motor mount, I also ripped the intake tube. As soon as the tube ripped, I started experiencing the same thing you described... uneven idle (bouncing between 1000-200), dying at lights, hesitation when taking off, etc. I would suggest looking at some of the DIY articles on cold air intakes. A new intake tube from Mazda is $55 and change... you can build your own intake tube for less. Good luck!
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”