Has anyone rebuilt an A/C compressor?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Has anyone rebuilt an A/C compressor?

Post by jasonbierschwale »

I have a 93 GS V6 with air (well, used to have air). I switched the system to R-134A not too long ago, and within a month, the system won't pump froen anymore. The clutch is turning, and the system is charged, but it ain't pumpin freon. In Texas with a black interior and summer comin on (we got 4 seasons too...winter, early summer, full blown nuclear summer, & late summer), that's dangerous. I figure it's just a couple fo O-rings that's worn out. I'm pretty smart when it comes to cars, but I don't know anythign about A/C compressors. I have no doubt I cuold take it apart and get it back together alright. Is there a rebuild kit sold somewhere? Also, check this link. I need to know pretty quick if this will work on my car or not. It's the compressor from a 93-95 Mazda 2.0. Thx!<P><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/e ... 06&r=0&t=0" TARGET=_blank>Compressor</A>
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
Urzua2577

Re: Has anyone rebuilt an A/C compressor?

Post by Urzua2577 »

You are straight asking for trouble if you wan't to rebuild your compressor! At school I have taken tons of compressors apart. Getting them back together and working right is a totally diffrent thing. I would suggest buying a new compressor. No matter what you do change the oil in the compressor to PAG, and make sure to use the same amount as what was in the old one. If my memory serves me correctly I think that my 92 V6 is a TXV type system and I would stongly suggest that you change the reciever/dryer next to the condensor. If you have any ?'s email me.
Potatoes

Re: Has anyone rebuilt an A/C compressor?

Post by Potatoes »

I agree with Urzua2577. rebuilding A/C compressors are a tough job. I think it would be best to pick up a used one at the junk yard.... besides it won't cost you too much. But... if you have the time to mess around with the compressor then all the power to you

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”