Tapping noise...sounds like valvetrain noise...?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Tapping noise...sounds like valvetrain noise...?

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hey guyz n galz, <BR> I read in an earlier post that it's a common thing for the V6 in MX-3 GS's to tick. Mine is originating from the rear valve cover. Is this really a common thing? I've racked up 147,000 miles. The earlier post said...<P>"My GS motor is a 92 with over 133k and i have no problems with it. the only thing is the loud tapping noise which is a $10 spring that needs to be replaced. other thatn that the motor still runs strong and no sign of anything goin wrong. i think its a valves spring...that what the guy at mazda told me when i replace it under gurantee !!...almost all GS do that but its not a big probelm."<P>Is that true? If it's just $10, it doesn't sound like a valve spring to me. I mean, the heads gotta be removed to replace a vlave spring, right? Also, my valve covers are leaking like seives... both out onto the block, and into the spark plug tubes. I know gaskets will fix the leak on the outside, but what needs to be done about the tube leaks? It's so bad that two of the rear cylinders start shorting out after about a week. Thx!<P><BR> :eek:
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
93mxrgs

Re: Tapping noise...sounds like valvetrain noise...?

Post by 93mxrgs »

that tapping is your HLA:S hydralic lifters, start using 5w30 it will take the noise away
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”