Ignition Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ADB98

Ignition Problem

Post by ADB98 »

I need a little help. I have a MX-3 GS SE. I have this problem that has just gotten worse. My car seams to be stuttering and when it gets hot and I push it like to get on the highway, the rpms will drop to zero and then 10 seconds later the car will cut off. If I turn the car completly off and let it sit for a moment it starts up but only until I get on it again. I have to turn it completly off. Most recently this happened for the last time and now the car won't start. All factory parts. I am thinking Distributor. Any ideas would be great. Thanks. PS I checked the rotor and the plugs and the cap and they are fine. Distributor felt very very hot the last time it happened. Thanks again. :(
92MX3GS

Re: Ignition Problem

Post by 92MX3GS »

That's a condition called "Heat Soaking". I just had that problem going on with my fiance's car. The problem is a cheap distributor part called the ignitor that doesn't take heat too well (and the damned thing is mounted in the distributor on one the hottest parts of the engine). The problem will continue to get worse. I tried getting just the ignitor but couldn't find one anywhere, so I had to replace the whole distributor. You can get one with a better ignitor from a Mazda dealership, but be prepared to pay $300+ for it. I got mine from Autozone for $130. It still has the weak ignitor in it, but it's lifetime guaranteed and got her back on the road for a while.<P>It's a common problem and you described it perfectly for diagnosis. That's exactly what was happening to my fiance's car.
Esper

Post by Esper »

yeah, i had to get the distributor replaced, too. it cost me $285-ish including towing. i had the exact same problems as you did. someone said something about finding distributors for $90 at NOPI.com, but i haven't looked myself. unfortuntely, this is a very common problem with these cars. mine crapped out the day after i bought it used! and i had it checked out beforehand! oh well.
Dude.
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Dude, <BR> go to NAPA Auto parts. Don't ask for the MX-3 distributor... get the one for the same year probe with V6 (almost $100 difference for the same part number). I had the EXACT same problem, and this fixed it. I didn't take it apart to see if the ignitor was the new or old style, cuz I was on the side of the road replacing it. I think I paid $145 for the new one... DON'T BUY A USED ONE!!! You'll have the same problem eventually... it's only a matter of time!
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”