Do you all think the Mx-3 would be more popular if it ca

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mx3man83

Do you all think the Mx-3 would be more popular if it ca

Post by mx3man83 »

Just a little something to start a discussion...I figure since there are only about 20 other people who post on the board i might try to get some freigen traffic going.<p>Yes. I do. People would be buying mx-3's over civics and accords like crazy.....but then again there is the question...would us mx-3 owners want that??
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Hy300

Re: Do you all think the Mx-3 would be more popular if it ca

Post by Hy300 »

I like to think, that if the MX-3 did come with the 2.5L KL03 if would have revolutionized the sports car market. A sleek sports car, coupled with a 160hp V6, when all the other sports cars in it's weight class had little 120-130hp I4 with Torque numbers hovering around 100 ft/lbs.<p>Every other company would of had to redesign all of their sports cars just to compete. If the MX-3 came stock with a 2.5L, or even the 2.0L KF, every punk kid driving a honda would instead be driving an MX-3. It would be too powerful, too lightweight, too economical, and too popular for the other companies to keep up.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I think it would have been cool if it did come thith the 2.5, but I dont think they would have sold much more cars.<p>most mx-3's I see are 4 cyl ones, most people bought these care because they were cheaper than the MX-6 and got good gas milage, they were basicly a cheap first car type of car, thats what the civic was, a good cheap fist car.<p>how many civic SIR's(SI in the US) do you see driving around town? then think how many civic DX and EX do you see? alot more of the basic cars are sold than the high performance ones.<p>We can now swap out the engine for a KL-ZE, so how come most of the people on this board still have the stock engine? Why hasnt everyone switched to the more powerfull engine? if you answer these questions then you know why a 2.5 MX-3 wouldnt have sold well in 1991-1998.<p>In case you need help, its cost, most people here say "I want that engine but I dont have the money"
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Well the thing is, if it came with the 2.5 in the GS model, it would have attracted a whole new class of people. You get these 40 somethings that want to have the looks of a sports and the power as well, but not have to pay 40,000 for a benz or something like that...they would have turned to the mx-3. I dunno, im kind of glad that it didnt come with the 2.5 though. I love the fact that when people see my car they are like "what the heck is that?"
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Sinistral

Post by Sinistral »

The Thing.. Is that.. The First mx3 prototype Was equip with the 2.5l.. F/""/ Mazda :D
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

BAH what if mazda had decided to make a smaller hatchback with a rotory besides the rx7 aaaah yes 3rd gen 13b TT mmmmmmmmmmm yet again i kick the poor guy who came up with the idea but was to scared to tell it
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

That would rock....Id love to have a TT rotary engine in my mx-3...
My Cardomain site
Manach

Post by Manach »

Humm..<p>Then, why not a 1.8 turbo?<p>There was a little marketing strategy here..<p>The 323 was out, no more, economical 2 doors cars were sold, Mx-6 was consider a copy of the Probe, and Mazda wanted there car.. Mx-3<p>One car was an economic version, with the technology of that time. And a sporty on, the v6.<p>Well, scramming a v6 there, no body thought it would be possible, and even there, if you swap the 2.5l, it is pretty tight.<p>Imagine, with other "sport" car, let's take the Tiburon, well, there is a 4 cylinders version, and a v6 one.<p>The Mx-6, 4 cylinders, and V6. They even design a Turbo for the 4..<p>Cavalier, z22, z24..<p>Now, you'll see there is always an economical version, and a sport one..<p>Mazda could put 2 types of 4 cylinders. the B6, and the BP, and the BP, at that time, was considerate a sporty engine.<p>Put would the Mx-3 sold more? Maybe not, it had a direct competition within Mazda product.. Mx-6, and Probe..
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Aston_Wards

Post by Aston_Wards »

Reliability of parts,....simply the stock transmissions were not designed to cope with the power of the KL, even a K8 causes trouble for some. There is no way the beancounters at Mazda would have been prepared to sell a 'hand-grenade'.
The only way the MX-3 could've been sold with a KL or KF, would be if it were comprehensively re-engineered, Mazda had no money at the time remember!
reSa

Post by reSa »

no no no...it doesn't matter what engine the mx3 had come with. think about it. the years that the mx3 were in production...what was popular?? SUVs. people were wayyyy into suvs...not tiny little sports cars. chugging their families around in big gas guzzling SUVs. and the ones who weren't were into civics and accords...camrys...cars that were economical and could fit their families in. If the mx-3 came back today i think it might be a little more popular with the masses...because people seem to have drifted back to the small sporty car dish. but now we've got...other things going on. i dunno thats part of my train of thought on the matter.
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I think there should have been 2 engine choices:
BPT or B6ze. That way Mx-3s get a sporty "turbo" image from the BPT and if people want the look but also want something economical they could go for the DOHC. If you think about it 160-170 hp would have been insane for that time for a front wheel drive economy/sports car. Hell, a 92 z-28 only had 170 hp! Nowdays 170 is the standard but just think, maybe 10 years from now fwd cars will have 350 hp but that sounds crazy right now.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

in 10 years I think the internal combustion engine is going to become something of the past... who knows :shrug:
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”