Thinking of new stereo

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
RoundTop

Thinking of new stereo

Post by RoundTop »

Ok, I have a friend who works at A&B sound so I can get good deals on stereo parts... anyways, I had him price me out a system.. let me know what you think.

4x 6.5" speakers (high quality)
Alpine MP3 CD deck
High-end 4-way 450W amp
all wiring + install

Total price $1200CDN. And I could easily add a subwoofer or two (the amp can handle it)
Talon_66

Re: Thinking of new stereo

Post by Talon_66 »

What is 'High Quality' and 'High End'? Because High End and High Quality in my eyes and a few of my friends who sell stereo equipment is Focal, or MB Quart.

<small>[ June 10, 2004, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Talon_66 ]</small>
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Alpine speakers 6.5" (SPS170A) x4
Clarion amp (APA450) (4-way amp)
Alpine head unit (CDA-9827)

Price I mentioned includes wiring and installation.

<small>[ June 11, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: RoundTop ]</small>
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I hate saying this..but *bump*.

Just want to get an opinion.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Sounds like a decent set-up. I used to have an all Alpine set up, I was fairly satisfied with it. Type R 6.5" comp set, w/ 12" Type R Sub.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

I think rather than 4 6.5s your money could be better spent on a single set of 6.5 components and a subwoofer. If you want speakers in the back I think a nice crossover would also be a good idea so you can cut the highs out of the back speakers and focus the soundstage to the front.

My 2 cents.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Talon_66:
What is 'High Quality' and 'High End'? Because High End and High Quality in my eyes and a few of my friends who sell stereo equipment is Focal, or MB Quart.
Guess it depends on your perspective. Focal and MB is mid-range IMO. Rainbow, Dynaudio, and Morel are high-end to me. :shrug:
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I don't listen to [c]rap. So subwoofers aren't everything. Would rather have all 4 as good speakers.

Also, there is a subwoofer out on the deck which I will have run to where the amp is so I can easily add a 1 channel amp and subwoofer.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Rainbow, Dynaudio, and Morel are high-end to me. :shrug:
:love:
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

yeah, what BumpnGlow said. I really dont listen to rap either. The sub and components will make any kind of music clear and full. Contrary to popular belief Subs arn't just for wakeing people up in the middle of the night when you drive past.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Actually, the more conservative the music, the more you need a sub IMO. Most pop music doesn't hit notes below 35Hz. Classical and new age can easily hit into the 20Hz range with a string bass, or even as low as 17Hz if it's got pipe organ in it.
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Ok..my sarcastic tone of it didn't come accross...

I know what a sub is for and what it can do. But that is filed under later upgrades. I want all 4 speakers. And as I said, I am having the wirig for the subs put in place ready for an amp and the subs. I just don't want to cut into my cargo space right now.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by RoundTop:
I know what a sub is for and what it can do. But that is filed under later upgrades. I want all 4 speakers. And as I said, I am having the wirig for the subs put in place ready for an amp and the subs. I just don't want to cut into my cargo space right now.
Honestly, rear speakers would be last on my list if I were you. I'd rip the rear speakers out, get a good sounding set of front speakers, and a little 8" or 10" small box sub for the rear. Then, a 4 channel amp to run the fronts and the sub. Rear speakers are pretty useless unless you're doing Dolby Surround or you have a big SUV or van.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”