question about tranny's

Off-Topic Discussions
koreanmx-er

question about tranny's

Post by koreanmx-er »

ive always wondered while in reverse when you start to move it whines, you all know what i mean, and even new cars with manual trannys do the same thing, just wondering what it is! :2thumbsup:
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
papa roached

Re: question about tranny's

Post by papa roached »

i think its from the fact that reverse is geared so low the internals are spinning pretty fast
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

first is geared fairly low as well tho so wouldnt that whine as well? im sorta talkin outta my azz but im jw
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

try getting first up to 5000rpm and let it coast - it will whine pretty good!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know, i've always wondered that, i've just never posted it...i cant see it being teh gearing, honnestly, it wouldnt surprise me if reverse was actually longer than our first gear
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

you hear the whining sound because normal driving gears such as first, second and third are angle cut gears like your cam gears, so they spread the area of force across a larger area for more torque and higher speed, while reverse gears are straight cut gears because they dont need to be used for high speed purposes or large amounts of torque.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war

Return to “Off-Topic”