MX-3 V6 'No Start,' no code situation . . .

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valentiner
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

MX-3 V6 'No Start,' no code situation . . .

Post by valentiner »

Actually, I do have one code, code 16, which I believe is for the EGR valve, but all that is new, and besides, would not cause a 'no start.' I started losing 20-30% of my acceleration/power a few weeks ago. I noticed some minor sputtering at idle, but didn't think too much about it yet. Yesterday, the idle sputter became more present. I took off for a semi-long expressway round trip, an hour each way. About 12 miles from home, I had a sudden decrease in power, and could no longer maintain highway speed, so, I bailed out. Nursed it for probably another couple miles, tons of sputter now, then it died and would not start back up. Today, I pulled the cat in case it were clogged. Not. I also checked for spark, spark seems strong enough. I'm going to try to test the fuel pressure, but my neighbor's kit seems too barebones to be useful. Distributor, wires, etc, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, all vacuum solenoids and vacuum lines; all very recent new parts. I don't think my timing belt broke, or, it would have totally failed immediately. And, I don't really think it skipped a tooth (although I have never experienced this_) because, if it kept running after skipping a tooth, why would it not keep running poorly? I do suppose it could have skipped another tooth if that were the case, then that could have caused it to die with no available re-start, but I don't know. So, I seek any/all input; thank you.

It is a '93 GS SE with stock 1.8L V6 with 265k miles on it; full compression (+/- 200 psi each cylinder_) last time I measured it; not too long ago.  Many many new or recent parts.  Status of timing belt unknown as it was a dealership purchase, and they would not allow me to contact the previous owner, so, all I could go by was if parts looked newer or not.
'93 MX-3 GS SE w/236k miles, now 260k.
mitmaks

Re: MX-3 V6 'No Start,' no code situation . . .

Post by mitmaks »

I was thinking its distributor but you said its fairly new. Did you replace it yourself or had shop do it? You wouldn't have receipt for it? Id try another disty just to rule that out.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
valentiner

Re: MX-3 V6 'No Start,' no code situation . . .

Post by valentiner »

Thanks for the reply. Here is the update: I determined cylinder compressions were only 120 psi now instead of nearly 200 as of not long ago. So, I went after the timing belt. Turned out the belt was fine, but had skipped 17 teeth! I assume the automatic tensioner failed. Then, soon as I fired it up, I started getting code 12 for TPS. So, I have tested it as basically fine; the signal wire only puts out a maximum of 3.62 volts, which is short of 4.5 volts, but essentially works. And I calibrated it from 0.5 volts, so, I have yet to drive it, we shall see if the code returns.

But I still have slight engine sputter. For that, I may end up swapping in a New Disty I have laying around, since it is an easy job too, and because of your recommendation. I will poke around first about the general subject of engine sputter before I swap it, but might as well swap it regardless, really. It will be interesting to see if there is a change. If not, I will still have a good backup disty laying around, just like I like.

The worst issue I have NOW is, severe loss of horsepower. With full throttle, I can't get over 80 mph on the expressway anymore, and have difficulty maintaining that speed even with just slight inclines. My neighbor suggests diminished M/T performance, I assume he means partial transmission failure causing excess friction. This to me makes the most sense so far. I want an M/T off a 2.5L KL anyway, with the better 5th gear ratio anyway, and with less miles on it. I may begin sourcing one soon, even though I'm not close to affording one yet. If a newer Tranny doesn't improve the HP loss, well then I at least will have ruled it out, and will have a better transmission to boot.
'93 MX-3 GS SE w/236k miles, now 260k.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”