Mazda mx3 1.8 v6 not starting unless fuel pump is turned off

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chartin81
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Mazda mx3 1.8 v6 not starting unless fuel pump is turned off

Post by Chartin81 »

So having a problem had to put an external cool and igniter on my car and ran fine now its not wanting to start in less I unplug the fuel pump will idle very low plug the pump back in and will sometimes run sometimes just die changed the fuel pressure regulator and no change in thinking injectors just want to make sure it's not something else instead anybody have this issue? Thanks
Dragon1212

Re: Mazda mx3 1.8 v6 not starting unless fuel pump is turned

Post by Dragon1212 »

Did you turn the distributor at all? sounds to me like you are out of timing. My car ran like that after a engine swap. If you haven't moved it, then don't touch it yet.

This is the HEI mod found in the FAQ Section right?
*This one*
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

yeah, that's the HEI mod.

Yo, chartin81, when is the last time you changed your fuel filter, or ran injector cleaner? It may be silly to ask, but sometimes...

Anyways, have you checked your wire connections? That would be where I started diagnosing starting problems.

Also, fuel shouldn't flow with the pump unplugged. Sounds like fuel line blockage increasing pressure and reducing flow. It could be a clogged or seized injector. Either way, something is holding your fuel pressure high enough that the the car can still run with pump disconnected...
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
Chartin81

Post by Chartin81 »

Actually think it was a little of both took fuel lines down an d blew them out along with injectors an d adjusted dist some an d it's running not not perfect but better so still working on it thanks for y'alls help

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”