White_93_MX3`s Build

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
White_93_MX3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

White_93_MX3`s Build

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Hey Every one, Ive only been reading the forums for a short time but found loads of usefull information. I am not new to the automotive scene, I love to tinker and build, I have a 05 Chevy Blazer that i have built into my dream off road rig. I managed to dump a 5.3l V8 and manual transmission into this beast. Quite an extensive task and alot of custom parts, but worth every bit of it. I deem my self decent with cars. You get the point.

Any Who on to my car.
Its a 1993 MX3, Automatic, 1.6L SOHC with 240,000km on the clock.
My 400 dollar car has turned into a gold mine.
The previous owner left it as payment for work done to it as they didnt want to have anything more done or didnt want the car any more. When i brought it home, it had little to no braking, major power issues and some rust starting to form on the rocker panels, roof, hood, doors and so on, just small rust spots but cancer none the less.

It was running super rough. Compression Test showed 120 psi in cyl 1, 40 psi in cyl 2, 113 psi in cyl 3 and 140 in cyl 4.
I pulled the head and had it checked at my buddies work, on top of a failed head gasket, it had multiple leaky valves, a couple burnt valves and a warped head. I pulled the cam and rockers and see evidence of bad wear, it appears its a head from the wreckers so who knows what kind of shape it was in when it was installed. So off to the wreckers i go for parts.

I started to tear into the electrical system and found the wires for the passanger side cooling fan had been broken and a hack job fix, some one grounded one wire to the head and the other wire was just dangeling. The interior was no better, Some one installed a security system, and how the thing even worked is beyond me.

Brakes are in good shape just super rusty, with the exception of the non-functional parking brake. The cable from the cab to the splitter(as i call it) was snaped. Ordered new.

Well So Far my 400 dollar car has cost me about another 600.

But heres the good news.
From what i can tell the timming belt was done recently.
I found recipts in the glove box for brand new injectors, and fuel pump.
The entire under side of the car has been painted with some sort of coating or bed linner.
both rear ebrake cables are new. Close to new tires on the car. The ever so dirty and neglected interior has been cleaned and isnt show room condition but definatly way better.

I have already ordered a complete head gasket set and will probably start the work this weekend as long as the head from the wreckers checks out.
Ive started sanding the roof as thats where the majority of the rust resides.
Im not sure what direction i want to go yet with this build as my plans change half way through when i learn new things....happens to the best of us. :lol: The Car for the time being is something for the wife to drive back and forth to school during good weather days(way cheaper than her truck) and when the weather isnt so good....well shes got her truck and mine. Living in Calgary has its ups and downs so a variety is good ....or i just like projects haha.

No Pictures to upload just yet but i will soon!
RogueWolf

Re: White_93_MX3`s Build

Post by RogueWolf »

There is lots of fun to be had... But after the week Calgary has had, can I suggest some Snow Tires, and a block heater?
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Block heater is already in, I will be able to suffice with the all seasons that are on there, by no means will it be good in deep snow but definatly untill the snow flies, itll give me some time to get winters on any ways
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hi welcome to the site. A lot of people swap out the 1.6 for the 1.8 4cly for more power. The auto tranny is a sore point and is probably at the end of it's life again some people swap the car over to a standard trans. Other than that you seem to have things well in hand. These cars are a lot of fun to drive and not difficult to work on. Enjoy :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Daninski wrote:Hi welcome to the site. A lot of people swap out the 1.6 for the 1.8 4cly for more power. The auto tranny is a sore point and is probably at the end of it's life again some people swap the car over to a standard trans. Other than that you seem to have things well in hand. These cars are a lot of fun to drive and not difficult to work on. Enjoy :D
Thanks Daninski, ive been researching motor swaps for the bp series, as well as v6 swaps. I havent entirely decided. Im leaning towards a motor/setup with the most local aftermarket support as shipping can get pricey. Fornow how ever my goal is to make it driveable. I simply dont have the time to pull a motor from the wreckers
And go on the assumption its good. Ive played with hp tuners for my blazer so i have a bit of knowledge when it comes to tuning. That being said a turbo set up would be fun. Off to the wreckers right now ill upload pictures tonight
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

You can't beat the little B6 when it comes to a cheap drive. great on gas.

But you definitely can beat it when it comes to power. Once you do some research you'll probably decide on 4cyl stays 4cyl, and v6 stays v6 because of the work and money involved to switch between platforms.

If/when you get a hankering for power, probably should look at the BP.

But even at 88HP, the car is still a blast to drive.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

SuperK wrote:You can't beat the little B6 when it comes to a cheap drive. great on gas.

But you definitely can beat it when it comes to power. Once you do some research you'll probably decide on 4cyl stays 4cyl, and v6 stays v6 because of the work and money involved to switch between platforms.

If/when you get a hankering for power, probably should look at the BP.

But even at 88HP, the car is still a blast to drive.
Haha yea, i think when upgrade time comes around its best to start with a solid base, when i did my truck i started with a 4.3l and was going to mod it from 190 hp, 230 tq to put out around 280-310 hp and 310 to 350 tq but it wasnt feesable seeing as how i could start in the 310 hp and 360 tq range and go up from there. Ill see how i like the b6 but im having a hard time sourcing a used head locally, this already tells me its going to be very difficut to do much with it as theres little to no support, i went to the wreckers today and didnt find much, 1 1993 mx3 with a v6, no good. theres one more pick n pull in my area with 2 mx3`s so ill try there.
Last edited by White_93_MX3 on September 12th, 2014, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

While im uploading pictures ill do a little babbling, So as stated in my previous post i went to the wreckers in search of a head, all i could find was one mx-3 with the v6 so no good for me.

On the upside my remaning head gasket and intake gasket came in.

So here is the car the day i brought it home

Last edited by White_93_MX3 on September 11th, 2014, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

So after removing the head i pulled the cam and this is what i found, perhaps hard to see.

Lobe with a worn flat spot. IIRC this was an exhaust valve so it wasnt opening correctly.

a couple more flat spots and scoring that appears to follow the lobe.

When i pulled the valve cover i noticed little chunkies settled on the rocker arms and bottom of the head, didnt really think any thing of it till i looked at the cam.

In the mean time i started cleaning the car and repairing issues.
First was the dirty interior

White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Ive also prepped the hood for a prime and color match, i have a spray gun but want to wait till better weather for mixing paint.

Ive Found evidence of bondo to try and repair dents, the repair was done decently, by a body shop i suspect. They tapped the dents out best they could and used bondo to even it out.

Few more misc. pictures of my progress.

Oh and i also used mcguires headlight polish to remove the slight yellow film forming on the lenses....looks nice!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya plastic headlites are pain for sure. Great effort so far, so where are you residing? Might be someone on here in your area could help with parts.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Im in the calgary area, if i luck out tonight ill be posting in the wtb section and looking at the for sale section. If i luck out ill just machine the head and replace valves. Not a difficult task just time consuming.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

pics! awesome glorious pics! Nice car, hope the auto doesnt kill your love for her in the future 8)
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Sleeper6 wrote:pics! awesome glorious pics! Nice car, hope the auto doesnt kill your love for her in the future 8)
After the wife is done with it, it will be getting a manual swap, trust me no automatics for me. I go through autos like i go throught socks....So i had no luck with a head for my car and i started tearing it down. So i cleaned the head up and found a casting number 541, so i searched the casting numbers but keep finding conflicting information.
Acording to http://www.allhead.com.au/product-catalogue/ it says 541 for B6 16v, but when i search google i get a variety of 541 casting numbers for 323 so im doing some more digging as there may be some hidden cross over parts.

More photos for your viewing please

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the SOHC version of the B6 came in two different styles. A 8 valve and a 16 valve. The 16 valve came in the mx-3 as well as the california 323, 91-94.
Other than that the 323 you'll find in the 8 valve variant B6. The 8 valve will also be shared across some different platforms for example, ford and mercury.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”