rpm drop/radio turns on and off

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

rpm drop/radio turns on and off

Post by wednesdayslatest »

well i was driving my car today for a long ride i have my headlights off then i notice my radio was going on and off on and off so i went as far as to hit the reset button and nothing changed

so i thought about turning the car off and on but i couldnt on the highway at least not now lol

then i noticed my rpm went dead but nothing else then it started spazzing out

well a loose connection somewhere thats all i can think or some metal was touching it thats what happen to my coolant temp sensor once i got the metal away from it was fine

eventually it died out again i think but i turned on the lights then magically everything started working again....

i did swap out the alt for a 110 amp milennia alt that had a different wire harness i had to mod

anyways was wondering if anyone had the rpm issue before and what did they do to fix it and also to see if anyone ever had the issue resolved from turning on the lights i got HID but theyre connected to the stock harness with plugs
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
wytbishop

Re: rpm drop/radio turns on and off

Post by wytbishop »

I'd say its about 90% you have a short in the charging system. Recheck all the wiring you did on the alternator.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
wednesdayslatest

wytbishop wrote:I'd say its about 90% you have a short in the charging system. Recheck all the wiring you did on the alternator.
can that be caused from excessive water? i have no splash guard when it stops raining ill recheck maybe i just need to connect the 3rd wire to another part of the harness i think its messing with something in my electrical ill change it and see what happens
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Was the RPM dropping and radio turning off when touching the brakes at all? Or using turn signals? When I had a short in my charging system that happened to me.

never sorted it out, ended up just doing an engine swap instead since I wanted a BP.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
wednesdayslatest

WOW today is a really shitty say for me i went to go start up the car to put the tires on the car at town fair tire and the damn thing wouldnt start eventually i figured i had two engine codes i was out there for like an hour replacing a sensor for the throttle body. not the boost/map sensor i opened that up it looks fine internally so i doubt thats it. i replaced the sensor on the throttle body below that idk the name BUT it stopped the 2nd code now im stuck...

i have a code 3 flashes no delay just 1 2 3

i looked it up G camshaft sensor ...there is no camshaft sensor....

SGC signal. signal was sent to SGC with no output. now my question is

THE THE HELL IS THE SGC where is it what do i need to do? cut it?

i dont think there is anything wrong with the wiring ....i mean aside the fact that its a POS job but there should be no problems. i have issues all around the car electrical wise but nothing that would damage the harness i just put a few things on switches to avoid touching anything lol at least for now.... this is realy aggrivating now i have to wait all the way until monday for new tires cuz theyll be closed for the holiday. whatever that means
wednesdayslatest

Okay so ive come to the conclusion i need to replace my distributor to fix the engine start up maybe it couldnt handle the alternator i havnt changed the disty so thats my plan if thatdoesnt work then ill look into getting a vaf to see if that fix it i saw on another thread maybe itll work for me too my rpm was due to the tps sensor but its okay ill change it later on and my alt mod only thing i havnt done was make a postive wire from the alt to the postive on the battery because the harness doesnt charge the battery very good at least thats what he said in the mod guide thanks tho i doubt ill have another problem with the radio ill jist turn on the lights or motorswap which i plan to but not now i also need info on the msd mod to bypass the distributor so maybe my engine will start

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”